Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking with structures + explaining the map  (Read 1618 times)

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
Embarking with structures + explaining the map
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:29:26 pm »

Quick question. Is it possible to embark with a necromancer tower on the map? Or maybe a tomb or anything really. Anything other than just the natural environment

Also, when you start, there is this 'map' that you can just tab away... but honestly do any of you guys find it useful? Am i missing out on using a good tool? Every time i look at it  i makes absolutely no sense as to structures or rivers and stuff. What is it meant to show? I have noticed these red patches on it.

Anyway thx
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking with structures + explaining the map
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:33:41 pm »

1. Normally, no, but with DFhacks embark everywhere (the actual command is 'embark'), you can.

2. The red patches are enemies I guess? Not 100% sure myself and I don't find that map thing useful either. It does give a birds eye view of the terrain though, but then again, you can just zoom out. Not really sure what it's supposed to be for, sort of a terrain minimap and not a real good one at that.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:21:00 pm »

I find this map useful - it helps me navigate through my own fortress, until I memorize the outline.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:07:55 am »

so wait about dfhack, when I'm on the world map embark, i just type "embark" in the dfhack, and i can embark ANYWHERE!?!!?
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:26:17 am »

pretty much, and this includes in the middle of a human city and such, or on top of mountain peaks or other areas it normally wouldn't let you (complete mountain embark comes to mind)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:43:17 pm »

Just don't try to embark in the ocean. It's instant death a fun aquatic adventure!

I haven't found the map too useful, myself. It's good at the start of the fort, to get an idea of the general layout of the embark though.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »

About the only use I've had for the in game map has been while playing with some of the nastier embark challanges.   The single pick challange in particular where your embarked on a reanimating biom and having to get through an aquifer with only your pick and the wagon for resorces.   Depending on how your breaching being able to spot that red dot aproaching your blue dots can be vital as your miner may be exposed to the surface for periods of time.   Beyond that I've never found it all that useful as it just does not have the resolution or detail to tell you all that much.