Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crystal Forgotten Beast - Need advice on ammo type  (Read 2419 times)

Maulkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crystal Forgotten Beast - Need advice on ammo type
« on: October 06, 2013, 06:44:43 am »

So i got a forgotten beast, crystal monster. Quadruped.

Got it capured in my cave airlock, with fortifications all around, so my markdwarves are safe. And getting the best training session of their lives.

Because it wont die. Been flinging berhaps a couple of hundre bolts at it, its red on all bodyparts, but it just keeps getting chipped.

Using Copper bolts, should i start to make Steel or perhaps Iron to se if that is a better effect?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Forgotten Beast - Need advice on ammo type
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 07:01:39 am »

If they are getting lots of training out of it, why do you want to kill it? I suggest death by 1000 cuts using wood or bone bolts for maximum skill up before it eventually dies.
This is a blank sig.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:52:23 am »

What he said.  If you absolutely want to kill the beast then steel might do it, depends on what material it is made from.  Crystal kinda implies crystal glass which if memory serves beats copper and bronze but not iron, steel, or silver.

My recommendation is either dig a new entrance or lure it somewhere else by digging a passage and making sure that is the critter's only way into/out of your fortress. Then trap him again.  Or, since it is not a web spitter you could try to arrange a webbed cage trap, although this requires a lot of set up if you don't already have giant cave spiders on hand.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:25:46 am »

It could maybe be rock crystal, which you're not going to kill with bolts.

Go with the 'second airlock' idea.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 11:21:27 am »

the 'death by a 1000 cuts' sounds like fun. I'm sure, however, that by now youé noticed that it doesn't bleed. It doesn't in fact have vital organs either, except the brain. The only bolt that will kill it will be a shot directly to the head with a material good enough to beat the material it is made out of (see the other posts, I guess).

Other ways to kill it using conventional ways are to cut it in two or drop the ceiling on it. Crippled as it is, it's an easy prey to axedorfs. On the other hand, as has been mentioned, it's nearly the perfect training dummy for your marksdwarves. The only thing you really need is some way to lure it around so you can retrieve bolts or stop the dwarves from shooting for a while.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:57:40 am »

I've killed an amethyst FB with silver bolts. I guess amethyst is about as hard as crystal?

If it is crippled, you could also make your legendary miners a squad armed with picks (preferably iron or steel) and let them do some crystal mining.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »

The only thing you really need is some way to lure it around so you can retrieve bolts or stop the dwarves from shooting for a while.
If you channel out the floor tile where the FB is going to stand and replace it with a wall one level down and built over open space, you can deconstruct the wall and have the FB fall down (as long as it's not a flier!). But I haven't figured out a really good way of keeping it contained while you rebuild the wall or fiddle around with whatever made you drop the FB out of the holding chamber in the first place.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:37:32 pm »

If you really want it dead caveins are your best option.  No mater what it is if you can drop a cavein on it its gona die.  That said I'd probably just leave it there and reconstruct my entrance and use it for target pratice for as long as it lasts.  A tough material FB without a ranged attack is a more valuable resource than a candy spire.  would be a shame to waste it.

Maulkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 12:26:01 am »

Thanks for all your great feedback. Gonne try and make a containment room and lure it in there, and close the door in its face. Got a Spider in a cage, so i might get it to web a cage first. This is gonne be fun!

For some reason killing it was my only thought, keeping it is soooo much better :)

I've killed an amethyst FB with silver bolts. I guess amethyst is about as hard as crystal?

If it is crippled, you could also make your legendary miners a squad armed with picks (preferably iron or steel) and let them do some crystal mining.

Could you expand on this? not quite sure what you mean!

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 02:26:20 am »

Could you expand on this? not quite sure what you mean!
he's basicly saying you could send the military in to kill it if its arms/legs are to damaged for it to use (and cant attack).  He's just being funny about it because the mining skill doubles as a weapon skill so you could "Mine" it to death.  not really any different from sending the axe squad after it other than ironicly apropreate in weapon choice useing pickaxes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 03:57:45 am »

pickaxes are very effective weapons in the hands of a legendary miner.

We're all waiting for the day we can process the diamond FB into actual diamonds. I havn't ever found any actual diamonds, it'd be nice.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Maulkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 07:50:48 am »

Haha, ok thanks. Been training most of my military to be superminers, before drafting them, so in a way thats what im gonne go, just with hammers and axes.

Next Question. Now that its completely Red in all bodyparts, will not stop moving? because it seems to have stopped destroing the last door that was stoping it, and it wont go for the tasty goblin(and door) bait i set up for it in its ned 2x2 home...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:04 am »

mostly, it's been slowed down so much that everything it does takes forever

If you are planning to draft miners in the militia, let them train in whatever weapon a bit untill they become elite, then switch them back to a pickaxe as weapon. A legendary +5 (or more?) miner will be much more effective than training them up with any other weapon. The only reason to get them to 10 in any other military weapon skill is to give them elite status so they don't get unhappy about being on duty all the time. Pickaxes as such are also pretty good weapons.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 07:49:36 pm »

he's basicly saying you could send the military in to kill it if its arms/legs are to damaged for it to use (and cant attack).  He's just being funny about it because the mining skill doubles as a weapon skill so you could "Mine" it to death.  not really any different from sending the axe squad after it other than ironicly apropreate in weapon choice useing pickaxes.
Actually, pick axes get very high velocity multipliers, so an iron/steel pick would probably be able to kill the beast.