Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Mystery of the Missing Ear  (Read 1228 times)

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Mystery of the Missing Ear
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:39:12 pm »

Something strange has happened to one of my miners...

Every part of her body is wounded. They are all showing as yellow. Every finger and toe, every organ and tooth.
The only exceptions to this are her upper body which is perfectly fine (despite her heart, lungs and all of her ribs being yellow) and her throat, cheeks and eyelids which are all brown. Oh, and her right ear is gone.

After searching around I can find no reason at all for these bizarre injuries. No combat report was generated so I don't think she fell off anything or had anything dropped on her. I am in a partly terrifying embark so I thought a necrosis syndrome caused by weather? But the only freakish weather we get is raining elf-blood (you'd think the dwarves would enjoy that but it still seems to make them miserable) and practically every other dwarf has also been out in it both before and after the miner so that can't be it. They're all fine.

Finally I do have a decent CMD in the fort but there is nothing showing up in her health screen either, and no call for diagnosis.

I think if I could find the missing ear that might shed some light on the matter but no joy so far.

Any thoughts?
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of the Missing Ear
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »

Female dwarven leper Vincent Van Gogh?
This space for rent

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »

Probably a vampire: I had one show up like this (only missing her entire left arm). Vampires will often duel during worldgen, so I imagine that's where the missing parts are from. Not sure why everything else is supposedly wounded, but I imagine it has to do with being a vampire as well.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »

Nah she's not a vampire, she came in with the first migrant wave. You can never get vampires hidden among the first two waves iirc. Besides there's no other signs of vampirism on her.

Though we do have a vamp in the fort. He's serving as my bookkeeper/manager, in a dungeon deep below the surface...
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:24:04 pm »

I see a lot of people who turn up, their bodies entirely minor damaged. I have no explanation for it, though I thought maybe old age.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 06:34:42 am »

Those are typically historical persons who were involved in fights in worldgen. It's not just vampires, _every_ historical person can end up "attacked by a night troll but escaped" or somesuch. Legends normally mention such fights, but aren't very detailed when telling about the consequences: they seem to only ever mention a single wound (like a knocked-out tooth), even if the creature lost a limb and got all inner organs permanently bruised.

And other than vampires, such wounded historical persons can arrive in the first two migration waves.

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:25:11 am »

Yeah that makes sense. At some point I may trawl through the legends and see if anything pops up.

Thanks!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 09:17:48 am »

I once had a guy show up without a jaw. Don't like picturing him that much.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:11:44 am »

If ghosts attack your dwarfs there is no alert or pause and the message can be easy to miss. Probably not what's going on here but its how one of my miners randomly lost a leg without me noticing.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 03:20:00 am »

Those are typically historical persons who were involved in fights in worldgen. It's not just vampires, _every_ historical person can end up "attacked by a night troll but escaped" or somesuch. Legends normally mention such fights, but aren't very detailed when telling about the consequences: they seem to only ever mention a single wound (like a knocked-out tooth), even if the creature lost a limb and got all inner organs permanently bruised.

And other than vampires, such wounded historical persons can arrive in the first two migration waves.

Yeah, basically this. I had a strange case of an axedwarf who showed up with all yellow body parts. Didn't spend much time thinking about it. Later I checked his kills - nearly three hundred goblins in some other random place. Only one was notable for some reason. I was kind of pissed that he wasn't legendary.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 09:24:37 am »

I once had a guy show up without a jaw. Don't like picturing him that much.

The dorfy thing to do if it were possible is to give him a metal jaw, a la Deathwing.  Then train up his biting skill.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.