Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food Just Vanishes  (Read 1205 times)

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
Food Just Vanishes
« on: October 13, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »

Alright, so I'm embarking on a Freezing biome and for some reason at any point between the 8th and 11th of Granite I end up losing all of my supplies, save for anything made out of stone or metal. Even my wagon gets blown away or killed by something. If this is caused by a snowstorm, how do I get my dwarves inside quick enough to prevent this? If it's not a snowstorm, is it a bug or a game feature that causes all my barrels and yarn to simultaneously implode?
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
Re: Food Just Vanishes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 03:37:38 pm »

I hear that adventurers sometimes get killed by ice that suddenly apears on a frozen sea. Maybe that's what's happening? Did you embark partially on an ocean? Also, do you have any mods installed?
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »

I hear that adventurers sometimes get killed by ice that suddenly apears on a frozen sea. Maybe that's what's happening? Did you embark partially on an ocean? Also, do you have any mods installed?
No, there's no mods in this one. I'm right next to a volcano and nowhere near an ocean.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 03:51:38 pm »

Maybe your biome is just extremely cold? Your less than cold resistant items would be taking wear in such a situation. Maybe you could try watching the items? If the items are suffering from the cold, x's should apear next to their names.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:53:23 pm by AfellowDwarf »
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »

It's probably the cold damage, organic materials wither away in freezing weather. To avoid it you should move all your food, cloth, wood and bone underground where the weather won't affect it.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:41:13 pm »

Did you alter the temperature settings in worldgen? Even if you did, your dwarves should be suffering too -- the cold damage point for body tissues is the same as the cold damage point for many of the things you're losing.

Maybe you could upload a save?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:36:58 am »

Alright, figured out what it is. It's effectively the weather, as the barrels and bags we're using get really tattered after a week.

So you guys were right. Thanks. OwO
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY