Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping Problems  (Read 1069 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Dumping Problems
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:54 pm »

I have a lot of damaged clothing that I want to get rid of, but my dwarves generate a million stockpile jobs every time I unforbid the stuff, even if I mark it all for dumping.

How the heck do I stop this? I've messed around with the refuse options, but it hasn't fixed anything. All they need to do is carry it upstairs and drop it down the chute into lava. It's not that hard.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:32:57 pm »

Just set a refuse pile under the pile of worn clothes and let time do it's thing.

Either do that or maybe you have other dump piles that you forgot about.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »

No, they keep wanting to stockpile the XX(troll fur sock)XXs and stuff. Even when clearly marked with a big purple D.

They already moved everything to one garbage dump while I dug out the magma chute. I have no other active garbage dumps besides that one now. What's going wrong?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:53:40 pm »

I wonder if it's similar behavior to when a new stone stockpile is designated?

Whenever I designate a new stone stockpile I notice that every single free dwarf races for the nearest boulder, even if the stockpile is clearly set to use wheelbarrows. As soon as the dwarves reach the stones, they realize their mistake and go back to idling. Are you actually watching them put the items in a stockpile, or just reacting to them wanting to?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:04:33 pm »

No, I'm pretty damn sure they want to move the damaged clothing to a finished goods stockpile. I'll check to make sure.

I tested with a few items and they were successfully dumped. Now, however, when I go through with the full reclaim/dump designation, about fifty stockpile jobs are generated, placing stuff in stockpiles that I really don't want to go there. I'll let it run for a bit until I can tell if the stockpile jobs are real.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:17:25 pm by ImagoDeo »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which items the dwarves are choosing to stockpile instead of dump. I just stopped a dwarf from carrying a large robe (which dwarves can't wear) off to a stockpile when it was clearly marked with a D, even in his inventory.

Can anyone help me? Am I going to have to delete my stockpiles until this is finished? What?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:36:19 pm »

Yea I've noticed that when picking up rope reed to go in a specific stockpile, they'll act as if they're going to pick up the plant but then go back and fetch a barrel or a barrel from the stockpile. So there are some problems with hauling sometimes.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 11:45:56 pm »

Well, I did eventually find a work-around, but I had to temporarily forbid all of the stockpiles to which the items may otherwise have gone.

That's very strange. I thought the dump command overrode everything else.

Ah well.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 01:30:13 am »

The problem comes down to an Order of Operations, usually.  Here's what happens.

xxGoblinSockxx is out in the field, claimable.  This generates a job to some stockpile.  That job then locks the object from any other job.

So, eventually, you swing by and dump the item. Eventually, it'll produce a dump job.  Right now it's still in the storage job.

The way to avoid this is to forbid the item, which will clear the job, then unforbid it and dump it before you unpause in a single motion.

If that doesn't cure your ills, I don't know what your bearded drunks are doing...

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 01:32:45 am »

Normaly it would not sure why it isnt.  Another possible work around for the future would be put a stockpile under the stuff you want dumped that is valid for the item type.   For the most part jobs wont be generated to move items to a stockpile if they are already in a valid stockpile.  The exception might be if they decide to try to combine bins.

Still even if you left them alone and the items got moved to a stockpile eventualy a dwarf would come along, take it from the stockpile and dump it in the apropreate zone.  Ya it wastes effort but what can you do.  Dwarves are morons when it comes to prioritizing jobs you want done.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:45 am »

If that doesn't cure your ills, I don't know what your bearded drunks are doing...

I tried that a few times. Every time, most of the items were successfully added to dump jobs, but a certain portion of them were targeted for stockpiles instead. I couldn't figure out why. Eventually, I just temporarily disabled all of my clothing stockpiles by setting them to 'accept from links only' and everything got dumped properly those damn dorfs finally did what I wanted.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:01:38 am by ImagoDeo »

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 10:28:42 am »

Do you have bins assigned to the clothing stockpiles?  I have found that dwarves will ignore almost any other command to place an item into a bin.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".