Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Destroyed in months? Baddies I can't kill...  (Read 1017 times)

Reiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Taken by a fey mood...
    • View Profile
Fortress Destroyed in months? Baddies I can't kill...
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:06:23 am »

So, I've been getting a bit frustrated with the amount of FUN I've been having. It seems like ever since I redownloaded and started playing again... I've had an increase in FUN lately. Specifically in the form of werewolves, zombies and even a wandering colossus that come to my fortresses. I'd have no problem with these guys, but... they come the very first summer. I have maybe 10 dwarves and none of which are any sort of force to be reckoned with, considering we JUST settled on to our mountain side.

I'm playing with the older version bundled with Ironhand's graphics that can be found here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53180.0

Is there some reason I keep getting these giant baddies so early? Because the last 5 games I've started have all ended in premature FUN.
So the Dwarf was out chopping down a tree with her baby...

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Destroyed in months? Baddies I can't kill...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:22:55 am »

Thats kinda odd reguardless of version unless you embarked in a particularly hostile area.  That said is there any particular reason your useing an older version?  If its just for ironhand graphics there are versions of the lazy newb pack with the most up to date fixes and it comes with ironhand.

Is the world your playing on one generated from the standard world gen or did you use advanced world gen?  I know I've used advanced peramiters in the past that disabled the wealth limit for a titan visit and goten early uninvited guests but never with normal generation.  Even so you shouldn't have had zombie troubles unless you embarked in an evil region particularly a reanimating one.

Even if funky world gen is not your issue prioritizing a sealable entrance to your fortress is always a good first step if you want to stave off early fun.   Get your dwarves and supplys underground ASAP and build a wall sealing your entrance and nothing will get in from the outside to bother you.  Once you have access to stone you can replace that wall with a raising drawbridge for easier access to the surface yet still be able to secure your base should something nasty show up.   Seting up a trade depot with a pair of bridges funtioning as an airlock around it also makes a rather quick and dirty Colosus(or any FB really) trap.   Just have the inner gate sealed and when he moves in to wreck the depot close the outer one and he'll get stuck inside and be nice and contained untill you decide to do something with him.   Similar containment style traps can work for most other forms of fun that may wander in as well and are easy enough to setup.  While not ideal for a long term solution they can be used to make the surface safe enough to let migrants in or to go out and gather some wood in the short term till you can work out a beter solution (traps/military)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:31:52 am »

yes, zombies show up starting from the first winter. were creatures and vampires as well I think, vampires as migrants ofc. Were-creatures are, 90% of the time, no trouble at all. They transform back to normal status before even reaching your entrance. You shouldn't get mega beast and semi-megabeasts yet for certain. However, iirc, there are some settings either in the raws, d_init or advanced worldgen (someone else probably knows?) that influence when sieges and other visitors start. It might be wise to check those.

If you're playing 34.07, I think the main difference is no minecarts and some other minor differences (wasn't it the hauling update around that time?), nothing changed with invasions/visitors, though it's possible vampire frequency got toned down
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Reiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Taken by a fey mood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:16:16 am »

Yeah, this has always been with generic world gen.

I kinda took the drastic route and went into the world gen files. I severely limited the number of megabeasts/titans/werewolves and the like. I have to play on small maps or my processor goes a little haywire trying to keep up. So, I played around a little and found the spawn caps. I also downloaded the newest version with a different graphics bundle. I've tried the lazy newbie pack, but really all I want is the game and the graphics, not everything else with it. Might save and update my graphics files, though, I miss Ironhand's. I got a bit used to it.

My first step is ALWAYS secure a front door. Because well, DOOR. But I had never heard of the Trade Depot trap! I will remember this in the future. :D

Here's hoping Fortress DreamDaggers lasts a bit longer than a few months.
So the Dwarf was out chopping down a tree with her baby...

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:24:32 am »

My first step is ALWAYS secure a front door. Because well, DOOR. But I had never heard of the Trade Depot trap! I will remember this in the future. :D

Well its not really a design ment for traping megabeasts it just tends to turn into that if you pay attention and shut the outer gate at the right time.  Its mostly to protect the trades while they are in the depot and keep the fortress safe.  Outer door is open innner shut till merchants are there then you close the outer and open the enter to bring stuff to the depot.  No ambushes can attack while your dwarves are exposed as they are locked out while the inner door is open.   The design just has a happy coincidence of a dual perpous.

As to the LNP and all that comes bundled with it.  You dont have to use all the extra stuff that comes along.  Sure some are handy or neat little additons but they are not vital.   The main thing is the most up to date LNP has a bunch of binary patches pre installed along with DFHack tweeks that fix alot of the bugs and glitches that are in the vanilla game.  Also a few quality of life improvements to the UI without haveing much of a framerate impact.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 02:45:45 am »

In normal world settings megabeasts will come only after you have 80 dwarves, if I remember correctly. Embarking near tower (check neigbors in embark screen) is always guaranteed premature FUN. Werebeasts aren't usually that bad if you just have a door. I really don't how to give any more advice - just go with trial and error and learn from your mistakes. If your fort falls to random werecamel, think next time how you could have avoided it. If it is zombies, I'd recommend you to embark somewhere without tower.

Also, don't bother with adoor. Use bridge. Even bronze colossi can't destroy bridges.

I really recommend you to use whole LNP - it doesen't force you to use anything, but it gives options. For example, a good menu to switch graphics or FPS cap or saving settings and things like that. If doesen't add anything if you don't want it to.