Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think the Health system needs a tweek.  (Read 1525 times)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
I think the Health system needs a tweek.
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:14:50 pm »

Its just really annoying to see one of you hardened fight with 1000 juice, 20+ health, and army body armour go directly to NearDeath when they're shot in arm, and someone with lower health can get shot in the face and just walk it off.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Health system needs a tweek.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:53:06 am »

It was merely a flesh wound.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:24:15 am »

As much as I love the reference, a fleshwound is getting shot in arms/leg, and shouldn't be to bad, getting shot in the chest/head is what should really injure you.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:33:43 am »

bear in mind that there are a lot of major arteries that run through arms and legs, and that bullets do more than pierce vital organs; the impact can cause shockwaves through the body that can really mess you up (or something), or send you into shock.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:28 am »

Aye, you have a serious risk of death if you are shot anywhere. =/
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:41:49 am »

Its just really annoying to see one of you hardened fight with 1000 juice, 20+ health, and army body armour go directly to NearDeath when they're shot in arm, and someone with lower health can get shot in the face and just walk it off.

It might have to do with hit location and armor protection.  Dunno if army body armor protects the same in all body parts.  I know army body armor includes helmets, but don't know if it includes arm armor.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:35 pm »

Yes, army armor does not protect arms or legs. Also, guns can vary a lot in how much damage they do, eg a 9mm will do 10-190 points of damage before any reduction by health or armor. People die from 100 points of damage.

So the one shot in the face might have been lucky and got just 10 damage while the veteran might have gotten 90 damage after reduction by health.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 01:31:30 am »

Damage in LCS is wildly chaotic, and has only a few sanity checks. For example, a small handgun won't blow limbs off, and you can't instantly kill someone by shooting them in the foot. But most other outcomes are fair game -- even things like a tank barely damaging a person with its main cannon, while very unlikely, are not impossible, and the game just kind of trusts you to make sense of it.

Headshots multiply damage and permit instant kill shots, but a very low damage roll can still be shrugged off. If someone is merely nicked in the damage from a shot to the head, think of it as a grazing wound. There's blood running down their face, and their buddies are thinking it's worse than it is, but they're shrugging it off and still fighting, claiming it's nothing. In the end they get patched up and it's a scar and not much more.

Limb hits don't multiply damage and don't permit instant kill shots, but a high damage roll can still be crippling. They're especially good targets for anyone wearing mid-grade body armor, which doesn't offer protection for the arms and legs. A huge damage shot to the arm might be a bullet that punctures a major artery and shatters a bone, leaving the target bleeding badly and in debilitating pain. Even though it wasn't even their main arm, it doesn't matter -- it's bad, and they're already collapsed backward in a heap on the ground and unable to fight, maybe with the presence of mind to try to crawl to safety, maybe not.

These sorts of outcomes could probably be better sold by the game with flavor text that conveys the amount of damage done.

nephilimnexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:41:34 am »

Actually, death by being shot in the foot has actually happened before.  And in the case of the infamous Edward Teach, that guy got stabbed over twenty times before he went down.

The key factor is shock, and the first time is always the worst.  Sheer shock can stop a person's heart cold, as in the case of death-by-foot shooting.  On the reverse, someone who's already survived numerous severe injuries before will be more able to withstand it.  For a comparison, consider that a professional boxer can take punches that would lay a newbie out cold, even when both are the same size and the punch is the same force.  The seasoned fighter knows how to take the blow better.  As scary as it might seem, the same rule applies even to stabbings and gunshot wounds.

Sadly, there is no experience system in the game to separate the grizzled veterans and those who would fall over from a fleabite.