Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To Dorf or Not To Dorf?  (Read 1007 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
To Dorf or Not To Dorf?
« on: September 30, 2013, 11:31:02 pm »

Shakespeare's age-old question returns in a form rarely seen: DF.

I have a thriving fortress of 289. Fully 100 of the little buggers are children.

I do not want so many useless mouths.

I also do not want massive tantrum spirals on the part of all the dorf parents in the place.

How do?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
Re: To Dorf or Not To Dorf?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 12:19:00 am »

The answer is clearly a well designed daycare centre.  With a well designed spa for the parents. 
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:41:41 am »

I'd love some specifics.

Or a stupid dwarf trick, if anyone has something suitable. One hundred dwarven children should be capable of much good !!science!!.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Setes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:37:20 am »

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:14:10 am »

If you are fine with killing the little blighters and only are worried about tantrum spirals the solution is pretty simple--don't allow the bad thoughts from the purge outweigh the other good thoughts of your population.

--Only "resolve" a few of the issues at a time.
--Make the parents happy--lavish bedrooms, mist generators, statues everywhere, masterwork clothes, etc.  All good thoughts all the time will keep them sane.
--Monitor your dwarfs happiness with Dwarf Therapist.  If someone's sinking pretty low, focus on him/her/it until they have left the danger zone.

--To prevent in the future ('cuz I don't think this can be changed during a game) lower the child cap, so you get fewer babies.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:08:48 pm »

If you have patience and time to spare, a child killed in complete isolation in a way that no corpse will ever be found, such as magma or atom smashing, doesn't cause a bad thought as long as you make a memorial slab in time to prevent the ghost from informing everyone the child died. It's kind of slow as you can only do it one by one. Attempting this on a group will let them telepatically warn everyone of their demise just before they die
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.