Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demon bait  (Read 1669 times)

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
  • Forts lost: A lot
    • View Profile
Demon bait
« on: October 02, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »

How to pull 40+ demons from different parts of the map to a same spot?
Ah, RL. The only true slayer of fortresses.
A vile force of Reality has arrived!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon bait
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:57:18 pm »

Artifact door or something otherwise buildable and is an artifact? I had an artifact door which ended up having demons mob around and yet they didn't deconstruct it.

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:00:36 pm »

I placed all of the artifact furniture I had access to on the spot(which is a lot)... they aren't budging... just keep casually burning everything on the surface.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:09:08 pm »

you could try stationing a lone military dwarf out there(equipment and skills optional) and see if they path to him.  If they still refuse to path direclty there you could use a bredcrumb approach.  Chain up a bunch of animals along the path to your  trap, close enough that if a deamon runs up and kills one they'll spot the next.   Then send a dwarf out to attract their attention to the first bait.  Dont expect to get your bait back.

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:13:21 pm »

Sounds like a plan. I better start forging chains. But will it work if there is a very long path to the target?

Correction: A very, very long path. Like several maze-like levels.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:15:15 pm by Bokaza »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 02:29:58 pm »

Well I said chains but you could also use pastures.  The disadvantage with pastures is the animals can run off when danger aproaches and may lead the deamons off in some other direction than you intended.  As to length technically you could theoretically make as long a path as you wanted with sufficient animals.  However I wonder why you have such a long and complicated path.  That might be the reason for the demons not pathing.   I've noticed sometimes the pathing system will get stuck and give up if its trying to reach something too far away through an overly convoluted rout.

Like I said try testing with a dwarf first.  First to see if a live target in the trap chamber is enough to get them moveing and then force the dwarf to path through the way to the surface.  Its also possible you've got an unpathable area that you thought you had hooked up to the surface.

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:15:11 pm »

Yeah, could be I massed up. But I made it that large so I could have enough time for all of the demons to enter since my plan was to trap them inside it and then collapse the whole thing to the ground. Since some of the demons were on the surface and others near the hell itself it would take some time before all of them enter the labyrinth and I need to keep the bait alive to keep them coming.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »

Just a sugestion but sometimes your better off with several smaller deathtraps than 1 big one.  This is particularly true if said trap is time sensitive, a one shot wonder, and your trying to trap alot of widely scattered enemies.  Minecart death traps are particularly useful in this reguard.  A heavy cart spining around a loop powered by impulse ramps.   Have the demons path through the hallway the minecart travles down so they get smashed by the speeding cart.  Its possible to get a cart going so fast that they impart increadable velocity to the target.  Even enemies that are so tough that the minecart impact does not bother them can still be killed when they slam into the far wall at terminal velocity.

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:19:52 pm »

Well, you've never played dwarf fortress unless you've made a huge, time-draining, genius/insane, but ultimately futile megaproject at least once...

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 04:13:00 am »

Well I did cast a 20 Z tower that took up about 50% of a 4x4 embark out of obsidian once.  That one took years (in game) to do.  Not really futile but it was time consuming as you got to build retaining walls on each level as you go up unless you want an uneven tower.  On the bright side cave adaptation was a thing of the past once it was done.