Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some easy questions  (Read 1683 times)

NightCroweler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Some easy questions
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:40:46 pm »

Easy for you, dear dwellers, but not that easy for me! I hope someone can answer my call and give me the answers I'm looking for...

1. My stone stockpiles always fill in quickly. Can I store stone in bins? If yes, are dwarfs so smart to sort my stockpiles and put the stone that was already in the stockpile in bins?

2. How do I set a workshop to work with a single material? (ex. I want to create rock blocks in a mason's workshop but I don't want to use my bauxite, but only my conglomerate)

Thanks in advance.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Some easy questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:53:10 pm »

1: no. Rock blocks can, rocks can't
slightly exploity way: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Exploit#Quantum_stockpiles

2: You can make a stockpile that only accepts a certain stone, link it to a workshop that only accepts from links. The workshop will only use stone from the linked stockpile, and that is only the stone you selected

I'm sure more efficient methods are available, but this is all I could come up with right now
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NightCroweler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:13:09 am »

Thanks a lot!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »

2: You can make a stockpile that only accepts a certain stone, link it to a workshop that only accepts from links. The workshop will only use stone from the linked stockpile, and that is only the stone you selected

I'm sure more efficient methods are available, but this is all I could come up with right now

That's exactly how I do it.  However, the part about "workshop that only accepts from links" is a red herring.  There's no such setting on workshops.  If any stockpile is linked to a workshop, that automatically means the workshop will only accept materials from linked stockpiles.  And unfortunately, there's no way to query the workshop to see which stockpiles are linked to it.  You have to query all the stockpiles one by one.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »

While you cant put stone boulders into bins you can use a slightly exploity method to store as many stones as you want on a single tile.  Often refered to as a quantum stockpile there are two ways to go about it.  The quick and dirty way is to set a garbage dump zone ( i, set a 1 tile zone, then hit g with that zone selected) then mark all the stones you want to move for dumping.  The dwarves will haul all those stones to that tile.  You will need to unforbid the stones after they arrive if you want to use them.

There is also an automatic way to acomplish the same thing useing minecarts.  First you want to build a track stop next to the tile you want your quantum stockpile.  While designating the construction you'll have a few options, one of them is to hit D to change the dumping direction, for this example tell it to dump north.   Set a stone stockpile to the north of the stop(1 tile is enough) and 1 or more stone stockpiles anywhere else near the track stop.  press h to bring up the hauling menu press r to make a new rout and with the cursor over the stop press s to define the stop.   Assign a minecart to the stop with V.   select the stop from the hauling menu and press enter.  hit X a few times to clear departure conditions out.  Hit enter agian and select the desired items (identical to a stockpile configuration).  Once set escape back out and put the main cursor over one of your stockpiles and press S to make a link to that stockpile, T will toggle weather the stop is giveing or takeing from the stockpile.  Link up whatever stockpiles to the stop (make sure its set to give not take from the quantum stockpile where its dumping too)   Escape out the rest of the way and your all done.  your dwarves will haul stone to the feeder stockpile(s) load the stone from the feeder piles into the minecart, and the minecart will auto dump the stone into the 1 tile quantum stockpile.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:49:12 pm »

If you want to set up a quantum stockpile using minecarts, I suggest the step-by-step tutorial (but I am slightly biased since I wrote it).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »

@Greycat: Oh good, quick Minecart QSP question you might be able to answer for me (please), if I set the output stockpile to accept only from links, does the minecart stop qualify? ('cos what I want to do is enable/allow everything in category on the QSP, but control the materials through the input pile).

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 09:23:47 am »

@Greycat: Oh good, quick Minecart QSP question you might be able to answer for me (please), if I set the output stockpile to accept only from links, does the minecart stop qualify? ('cos what I want to do is enable/allow everything in category on the QSP, but control the materials through the input pile).
No clue on the accept only from links bit, but once the output tile has an item on it the only effect of the output pile's settings should be that dwarfs will remove things that aren't allowed (assuming they have a stockpile to put them in). It's entirely possible that accept only from links would have no effect on the output stockpile.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:52:06 pm »

That makes sense actually, & does explain some observed behaviour.

Thank you.