Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pump Stack  (Read 1398 times)

Vae Victis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pump Stack
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:51:32 pm »

Hello everybody!

I seem to run into a problem when creating a pump stack. Following Wiki I installed the pumps in the correct order and right direction. All needed tiles are channeled, all output and input tiles are fluid passable. The stack is not working as it should though, as even each pump can be normally operated power does not transmit through.

the four tiles of each pump except the first one of course look like the following

[]0[]0 - - - pumping from the east, where [] - floor; 0 - channeled tile.

The complete construction seem to be fine, as the pumps are supported only by the underlying pump. This can be proved by deconstructing any pump below and watch all others pump on top to break.

What could be done wrong?

P.S: I can't find attachment option to upload a save with the example. If needed I can try to upload it somewhere else.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pump Stack
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:06:58 am »

Are you sure you have enough power and that the power is being transmitted to one of the pumps?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:59:45 am »

That alignment looks right, I agree with itg, check the power in the system.  long pump stacks are quite power hungry and if your even 1 point under the requirement the whole system shuts down.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:40:07 pm »

correct me if I am wrong: the whole stack cannot pump from the same direction, it has to alternate
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:00 pm »

When you [q]uery each pump, what does it show for the power requirement/consumption?

Also remember that manually powering a pump does not generate any power - in order for the entire stack to be powered, at least one pump must be connected to an external power source (i.e. a sufficient quantity of water wheels and/or windmills).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:58:34 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:36:15 pm »

correct me if I am wrong: the whole stack cannot pump from the same direction, it has to alternate

That is correct, I assumed he was just showing a single layer to indicate where he had the gaps and he was alternating for each layer.

Vae Victis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 07:48:00 pm »

Hello and thank you for your responces!

So as I understand, manual pumping isn't possible with pumpstacks? I have been trying to manualy power the top pump and thought it is possible to power it.

I thought that manual pumping is mutually exclusive with energy, meaning that  there is no need in any power if manual labor is done in DF.

And of course pump position alternates on each layer.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:09:33 pm »

Manual Pumping requires a 1 dorf/pump laborer ratio, because the Pumpdwarf isn't actually generating "Power", he's just pumping.

If you power the stack, with wind or water, then I believe you are correct that it is an all or nothing proposition, & probably won't be able to set any of the pumps to "Manual" to reduce the power requirements (though I've never actually heard of anyone trying it, 'cos a dwarven water reactor array is usually really easy to build at the bottom of the stack).

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 10:43:16 am »

~

I guess then that the floor and channel orientation alternates as well.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »

I'm partial to the lift spiral, rather than the straight stack. It's a bit more expensive, since you've got to run more gears but it's easier to get the magma up the stack. It does take 16 tiles of space per z, but it requires less channeling and reduces the chance of someone getting stuck.

Vae Victis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 11:33:54 pm »

~

I guess then that the floor and channel orientation alternates as well.

floor and channeled tiles are also ok

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 12:46:00 pm »

If you power the stack, with wind or water, then I believe you are correct that it is an all or nothing proposition, & probably won't be able to set any of the pumps to "Manual" to reduce the power requirements
Once a pump receives sufficient machine power to turn it on, any dwarf currently operating it will immediately get up and leave - this is something that can easily be observed when hand-starting a large bank of water reactors.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:45 pm »

If you want to pump it manually then you need a dwarf on every pump.  And if when just one of them gets tired/thirsty/sleepy/hungry/moody the stack doesn't work.