Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immaculate Musk-ox?  (Read 598 times)

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immaculate Musk-ox?
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

My dwarves arrived at their new home with one horse, one musk-ox, and one camel.

We ate the camel, and eventually traded for a matching horse to start making little horses, but the Musk-ox has remained a solitary creature, tied to it's rope off in the corner.

This, oddly, has not stopped it from giving birth to little baby muskoxen... EVERY YEAR.

Is this a known "feature", only partially implemented, or a bug?

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immaculate Musk-ox?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

I believe creatures breed through Telekinesis- as long as there's an opposite-gender animal of the same species ANYWHERE on the map, regardless of if it's wild, yours, or with a caravan, the creatures can breed.
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

The randy male camels the humans bring with them seem to manage to impregnate my female camel every year.

That brings up the important issue of sex: female animals are worth much more to you than males, as every one can produce calves.  You only really need 1 male.  Conversely if population control is your objective slaughter the females.

Mules, horse-donkey hybrids, are sterile.  I don't know if having horses and donkeys will give you mules or not.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

Nope.  You cannot breed mules.  The game doesn't really recognize "breeding", it just has creatures that have children.

If you go into the raws, you'll see that animals will have the child statistics tacked onto the base creature.  Animals that don't breed won't have child stats (dragons, for instance).

If you want to breed dragons or hydras or whatnot, just figure out the relatively simple cluster of info and slap a corresponding set on the critter of your choice.

As for the muskox, check to see how often it's visited by dwarves.  They may be "reverse milking" it...

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>
If you want to breed dragons or hydras or whatnot, just figure out the relatively simple cluster of info and slap a corresponding set on the critter of your choice.
</STRONG>

actualy, adding the code to dragons will not allow them to breed, even if there are both genders on the map(goblins, who DO have the code, will also not breed no matter how long you hold em captive). probably due to dragons/goblins being intelligent, so wont breed without being married

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

In this case, there is no other Musk-ox present on the map.

Hmm, maybe one of the caravans brings one in when they visit and it sneaks past the death traps down to the animal pens, then sneaks back out to pull it's wagon home. That's almost plausible.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

I brought this up in the bugs forum a week ago when the same thing was happening with the horse that came with the wagon (in one game she gave birth before the dwarf caravan arrived in autumn, so it definitely wasn't related to that). It's rather odd, to say the least.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.