Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-equipping  (Read 887 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re-equipping
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:19:00 pm »

I think this might have been addressed before but I can't find the post on it.

Is there any way to get your marksdwarves/hunters to re-equip??

There's nothing more frustraiting than seeing your compotent marksdwarf killed because he walked OVER a few piles of bolts on his way out of the fortress with his single wooden bolt to wander around the woods like an idiot for a good 10 min untill finally deciding to shoot a wolf once, then the wolf kill him because he only had one shot.

I've had similar situations stationing marksdwarves on defences.  They sit there with their 1 or 2 bolts,  trouble comes, they fire, then they are screwed.

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re-equipping
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Baro:
<STRONG>I think this might have been addressed before but I can't find the post on it.

Is there any way to get your marksdwarves/hunters to re-equip??

There's nothing more frustraiting than seeing your compotent marksdwarf killed because he walked OVER a few piles of bolts on his way out of the fortress with his single wooden bolt to wander around the woods like an idiot for a good 10 min untill finally deciding to shoot a wolf once, then the wolf kill him because he only had one shot.

I've had similar situations stationing marksdwarves on defences.  They sit there with their 1 or 2 bolts,  trouble comes, they fire, then they are screwed.</STRONG>

I'm not sure if it works already, but giving marksdwarves multiple weapons should also make them carry lots more ammo.

Janne )`*

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:10:00 pm »

How does multiple weapons work?

I tried to set weapons to 2, then get the dwarf to carry an axe and a crossbow (in case they need to get in close range) but it never works!

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 07:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Baro:
<STRONG>How does multiple weapons work?

I tried to set weapons to 2, then get the dwarf to carry an axe and a crossbow (in case they need to get in close range) but it never works!</STRONG>

I think that's actually "hands", and a crossbow needs two hands to use.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »

Multiple weapons might be fairly buggy, and I'm not sure there's a way to get them to use multiple types.  The ammo seek stuff probably stops them from picking up more no matter what.  The AI got confused by multiple stacks so it's out for now until I get them to pick up and sort items more intelligently.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 02:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Multiple weapons might be fairly buggy, and I'm not sure there's a way to get them to use multiple types.  The ammo seek stuff probably stops them from picking up more no matter what.  The AI got confused by multiple stacks so it's out for now until I get them to pick up and sort items more intelligently.</STRONG>

I did get a dwarf to fight with a short sword in both hands. That was pretty cool, but quite useless.

Janne )`*