Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapped Inside (Corrosion Mod) HELP!  (Read 1929 times)

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trapped Inside (Corrosion Mod) HELP!
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:53:52 pm »

I am playing the Corrosion Mod i am fairly new to the game and i have managed to survive to my 4th year,

Everything was going perfectly until a Mega-Beast took on my 15 man military, it killed a total of 4 soldiers in combat and then another 7 died due to the venom is had. Right after this happened i was besieged by about 55 undead, I immediately closed my drawbridge and walled off the entrance,

I have the following supplies:
623 Meat
452 Fish
112 Plants
260 Drinks
A lot of seeds ( corn mainly) 

In this mod if people are bitten they can turn and will cause havoc within your base i believe several of my civilians were bitten so i deployed the rest of my military to the hospital where they are being kept.

But the main question is what can i do to stop the siege etc.?

And i would prefer it to be a quick way because i could have about 25 infected humans out of 88 Humans which could overrun my fortress from the inside if i am not careful

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trapped Inside (Corrosion Mod) HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:55 pm »

Not really familiar with that mod but honestly if I was expecting an outbreak to happen in the near future I'd quarenteen those I thought were infected.  Just wall up the hospital, dump in some food and drink befor they starve if they dont start turning.  May be harsh and you may end up loosing a few that would have survived but better 25 dead than 88 dead

As to clearing out the surface, does atomsmashing of monsters work in that mod?  If so thats usualy the quickest way to sort out a zombie siege.  Build a coridor, possibly with one or more zigzags and put a couple of 1x10 raising drawbridges in it linked to a lever on repeat. put some bait at one end of the coridor and wall it off from the rest of the fortress then let the zombies have a path to reach the bait.  even a single bridge will work in a pinch and can be setup in a very short amount of time.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:46:47 am »

Is there a necromancer with them?

If not, I'd recommend a simple crossbowdwarf, trap and cage trap setup with another draw-bridge fallback point if need be between you and the hungry dead. Kill them off from a distance. Don't risk them getting up close, though you know this better than I. Crossbowdwarf skills are fairly easy to train and produce, but getting everyone a crossbow might be a problem with no surface access, and ammunition might be annoying to acquire.

If nothing else is plausible due to design, the poster above's idea works. A simple atom-smasher airlock.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:25:55 pm »

Well so far i ordered all my humans that were injured by the infected into the hospital it has been quarantined and i have atleast 2 guards in the area at all times, also so far 3 out of the now about 22 humans are in the hospital already 7 have turned and the survivors are in a constant civil war with them but hopefully they will make it out.

As for the topside, i do not like using atom-smashing it just seems a little unfair to me personally :P

Also this mod has no necromancers but there are several types of undead some that use melee weapons etc, i have access to enough wood to make about 50 crossbows with several hundreds bolts but the issue is that there are spitting infected (rare in the mod) and my dwarves will just get destroyed by the spit.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:33:27 pm »

Well the situation just got a hell of alot worse.....

A group of migrants (12) came by and were quickly infected and turned there are so many infected top side it is awful a Warlord Caravan came by today (thank god) (Humans armed to the the teeth) There were about 12 guards with them armed with Machetes and 2 of the had Military Rifles, They took out a good 6 infected until the main horde got to them. They were slaughtered but killed out 15 undead.

If i can get my troops topside to get the supplies i may be able to do very well the supplies are right by my entrance as well :D

Also in the downside report one of my survivors went berserk and pulled the lever to the hospital. They overwhelmed my guards and before i could get my riot control soldiers down there (Riot Helmet Soldiers with Tire Armor etc.) i lost 17 humans. The entire living quarters in that area has been quarantined by a wall. Sadly now 15% of our food/drink stocks were down there.

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:31:57 pm »

I don't really know much about the mod, but as to your food and drink, haven't you got an underground farm area? If it needs to be above ground then  (assuming the undead arn't flying) you could try and establish an above ground farm away from the zombos, like some corner somewhere where they won't path to. Even if its a rocky area, once you wall the area off you could channel down until you hit clay or something, or just irrigate it with water. I dunno, other than that though,
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:34 am »

Seems like fun was had.
Siegers leave on their own after some time, that's hardcoded.
I believe something like zombie civ won't flee, so if you can't take all of them down which looks like the case you'll just have to wait them out.
Or, you know, use trapped corridor of deadly death. Dunno if you have enough resources or whether the mod has trap components for that matter, but you can always dump crap atop the doors and hatches and have it fall down wherever someone opens the door or triggers hatch opening,
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 02:07:20 pm »

Well my population is depressed and they are freaking out badly, a Mega-Beast Zombie (unique to mod) broke through my doors and such and now all my population is trapped inside of my emergency bunker. It has enough food for 10 humans to survive for about 2 years sadly we have about 75 humans inside of the bunker. Things are going bad people are getting depressed and i have already had 4 people go berserk. I am training everyone in my settlement to turn into fighters. They are armed with everything we can get our hands on. Luckily the bunker had alot of wood so my soldiers are equipped with baseball bats and such while my original military is armed with machetes, full iron,steel armor etc.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 07:14:33 pm »

Benefits of atom-smasher is that if there is a necromancer, it will destroy all remains and nothing to revive.

Killing them with a crossbow will not work if there is a necromancer, but cages are a universal solution.

And don't think of a atomsmasher as cheating :P Think of it as a giant bridge smashing anything under it... into oblivion...
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 02:57:56 am »

And don't think of a atomsmasher as cheating :P Think of it as a giant bridge smashing anything under it... into oblivion...
or the precursor to the pulping mechanic slated for the next release.  atom smasher has the benifit of being combined trap and waste disposal.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 04:58:46 pm »

Well we have retaken several sectors of the fort but we have lost over 75% of our population..