Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only in Dwarf Fortress -- a thread of small stories  (Read 747 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Only in Dwarf Fortress -- a thread of small stories
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:12:14 pm »

So, I started up a single pick challenge fort on a Funner than usual terrifying tundra site. I'm three layers into the aquifer, and I have to keep my dwarves holed up most of the time to avoid the giant zombie ravens. Food and water are ok, but tempers are wearing thin, as my dwarves have to put up with lots of little annoyances with none of the simple pleasures that would balance them out.

My expedition leader and miner, Onul Talkedtours, gets the worst of it, because she's constantly digging in the middle of an endless blizzard. She finally snaps and starts beating up one of the original seven, Mosus Weakenbrass. A few swings later, she caves in his skull. So far, standard stuff. But wait, something's off. I look at Onul's thoughts, and she's ecstatic. Sure, a fist fight usually brings a dwarf up to fine or content, but ecstatic? Surely something else happened. I look more closely at her thoughts. She has become romantically involved with someone. Right after beating someone else to death. Wow.

Of course, I have to see who it is that found the sight of Onul's bloody fists so alluring. I look it up on the relationships screen, and it turns out her new lover is... Mosus Weakenbrass. That's right. She fell in love with a dwarf, while she was beating him to death, and was happier for it, even after he died. What's more, Mosus reciprocated. Only in Dwarf Fortress.

Needless to say, this is the part where you share your own stories about those crazy little things that can only happen in this game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Only in Dwarf Fortress -- a thread of small stories
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:51:40 pm »

I remember a butcher that took a horse foal, dragged it to a butchery, became ecstatic, and butchered it. He made a new pet recently... the horse foal, which he killed.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::