Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do we do this?

Gen a new world using the Lazy Newb Pack without modification
Gen a new world using the Lazy Newb Pack with all races modified to build cities, towers and roads
Gen a new world using the new update to Masterwork Mod without further modification
Gen a new world using the new update to Masterwork Mod with all races modified to build cities, towers and roads
Retain the current world using Masterwork Mod v3
Another option I will post below

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fate of All Worlds - Succession  (Read 5984 times)

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of All Worlds - Succession
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:16 pm »

Go go go
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 05:51:52 am »

I've downloaded the "Advanced Lazy Newb Pack (v15)" and just finished changing the RAWS to make all races babysnatchers, use slavery and live in hamlets, towns and cities.  Genning world now.

The World Map:
Year 551
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So here's how I see this happening:  Each player will reserve an X/Y coordinate to begin building in (with the "turn order" deciding who gets that coordinate if two people want the same one.)  So the players post their choice in the group.  Each coordinate represents a 16x16 area on the embark map, so the person who reserved that coordinate is responsible for building in that area.  When they're done building or digging something, they post that save file to the group, also posting the beginning and ending years for that save file, and that coordinate is freed up once again.  I'm going to be making a map from Isoworld screenshots stitched together from all of the saves, so when you post that save, I'll take the screenshot and add it to the overall map.  To save confusion, I'll be putting a red "X" in the world map here for every coordinate reserved by a Player.

All the different histories will be combined too, so that people can read about how the world was dominated by the dwarves, one year at a time.

Buildings and other structures already in the world should be incorporated into whatever new thing is being built or excavated, rather than demolished or otherwise destroyed.  How you deal with the other inhabitants of the world is up to you, however.  I'd suggest surrounding their towns with walls and turning them into "wildlife parks" and "safari preserves", but others may just want to flood the place with water or magma, (or both), as a form of "art imitating life". While genocide may be the easiest way to deal with other races and societies, too much makes the world a very boring place after the dust has settled.

This way, nobody has to wait for a turn - just post a reservation for a coordinate and get going.

The massive Isoworld map: (Link will be here)
The combined histories: (Link will be here)

Reserved Coordinates:
Timeless Bob: 23 down, 14 over
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:43:30 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 04:19:15 am »

...crickets...

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 05:01:39 am »

Wow. That idea is so epic that I'm afraid it will never could be finished. Setting a forterss in every tile would requre 33*33 * 0.75 (rough unavailable/embarkable tiles rate) = 816 fortresses.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 12:16:12 pm »

Wait, so you're saying the different saves are going to be merged together?  :o  How do you do that?
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 09:39:56 pm »

The map pictures and histories of the different saves will be put together.  Pretty much, I'll be taking a map coordinate picture with the Isoworld utility of a save that has built something in all 64 map squares.  I'll port a screen-capture of that screenshot over to photoshop and stick it next to other coordinate shots as they get completed.  People can choose to build more on another person's save, (which I will then update the big map with), or pick "virgin territory" by using my original save and choosing a coordinate that nobody has yet taken.  I'll also be taking all the unique histories of each fortress save (from legends mode) and adding them to the world history file that will go with the big map.  You'll be able to read all the things that happened to everybody else during that year in their forts across the board.  I expect "The dwarven uprising" to be an explosion of stories in those first few in-game years, as more and more people add their fortresses and histories to the big map.

Here's the math I'm looking at: A 33 x 33 square world map has 1089 coordinates and each coordinate has a maximum of 256 (16x16) possible embark squares. (1089 x 256 = 278,784 possible embark squares.)  If we took the forum standard of 1 RL week per player turn, even if we all were able to build a 64 x 64 area in 1 week, a traditional succession game would take 1,089 weeks (20 years, 11 months) to completely fill the world with 1 week turns, and that's only if the game kept on plugging along without pause, RL getting in the way, bugs popping up, saves being lost, ect...  Interestingly enough, figuring about 5 years per player turn, the world would gain 5,445 years of consecutive player history to its calendar.  After only 200 or so turns, the game would crash just from the file sizes - it's a known bug in the longer running forum games.

So a traditional "every person takes a consecutive turn after the others" just isn't going to work.  Instead, my thought is that we should do this using multiple embarks at the same time.  I've volunteered to "sew together" the big map and the accumulated histories into one place, because that would be one hella of an awesome megaproject that everybody can contribute to whenever they feel like it.

For instance, my plan for my reserved coordinate is to create a chessboard made out of 64, 2x2 embarks, some with 21x21 "empty" squares in either dacite or cinnabar, and some with towers built to look like the pieces.  Anybody who takes over my save after I post it will have their contribution added to the save and their history come after mine has ended, while someone who uses the same save I started from will be making history "at the same time" I do, in the combined histories of those saves.

While we won't be able to experience the combined world in adventurer mode (that I know of), we'll still have a megamap and megahistory to show for it.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 01:22:04 pm »

Your name should be problemless bob, Im so sad I cant participate with you ( probably) goddamn Real Life...

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 04:49:06 pm »

@Sebastion: The great thing about this is that you can come back at any old time and claim an unreserved coordinate to build on (or add to) and your contribution will be added to the mix.  I imagine this thread will be necroed a few times before Toady releases the next big update and it dies the final death. (But nothing says we can't start a Fate II game once that happens...)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 2 [3]