Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gem setting for weapons?  (Read 2290 times)

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gem setting for weapons?
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:45:57 am »

Even though this has probably been answered somewhere (I couldn't find it through searching though) can someone please enlighten me on what tags I need to change to make weapons capable of having gems set in them? It seems a lot more logical than encrusting ammo.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gem setting for weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:17:07 am »

You can't adorn weapons (or armour) with gems.

You can add other decorations - bones/horn/tooth/shell and metal. Those just grab the nearest applicable item, so linking material and item stockpiles directly to the workshop is a good idea, else you'll end up with ridiculously metal X*<*pig tail left mitten*>*Xs and bone-studded bins.

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:19:18 am »

Ok will do. Shame about the gems though, would have been good to have diamond encrusted armour.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:55:53 pm »

I thought it was possible if you created a custom reaction for it.

Code: [Select]
  [REACTION:ENCRUST_WEAPON]
     [NAME:Encrust Weapon with Gem]
     [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
     [REAGENT:A:1:WEAPON:NONE:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
     [REAGENT:B:1:SMALLGEM:NONE:NONE:NONE]
     [IMPROVEMENT:100:A:COVERED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE]
     [SKILL:ENCRUSTGEM]

There could easily be a mistake in there, and as far as I know, that should make it possible to go to your Craftsdwarf Workshop and queue up a job to encrust a weapon (it should take the nearest one) with a cut gem (again, nearest one). I'll give it a test in a sec.

Edit: Took some tweaking, but tests show it should now function as intended. Enjoy your extra-shiny weapons!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:21:45 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »

Thanks. Now I can truly pimp my military. :D

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:50:14 pm »

Let me know if you need any help getting it to work for you. =)
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 02:13:18 am »

I'll try it later tonight. Thanks for the help.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:59:27 am »

You can add other decorations - bones/horn/tooth/shell and metal. Those just grab the nearest applicable item, so linking material and item stockpiles directly to the workshop is a good idea, else you'll end up with ridiculously metal X*<*pig tail left mitten*>*Xs and bone-studded bins.

I tried doing this with a "decorate with horn" to use up my supply of hooves building up at my butcher's shop.

They took a spear I had nearby and decorated it...then grabbed more bones and decorated the same spear again...and again...and again. The spear's decoration marker didn't seem to change (Granted, I had a novice bonecarver so I wasn't expecting much) but I don't understand why it applied four different decorations to the same spear rather than one decoration to 4 different items (which is what I wanted).

The description of the spear DID mention all the different bones used to decorate it, but it's value at the trade depot didn't reflect having four layers of decorations on it.

Is this a bug or working as intended?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:31:31 am »

The problem with decorating with bones is that bones on their own have a trade value of zero. In my experience, this means that decorating with bone doesn't actually increase the value of the item, even though it should.

As for why the same spear was decorated so thoroughly, were all the bones from different types of animal? Items may only be improved with a specific material once, as far as I know, and if you had a bunch of different types of bones lying around, the spear would have been the closest item when the dwarf went "What can I decorate with yak that isn't already decorated with yak?"

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 04:05:58 pm »

I tried doing this with a "decorate with horn" to use up my supply of hooves building up at my butcher's shop.

They took a spear I had nearby and decorated it...then grabbed more bones and decorated the same spear again...and again...and again. The spear's decoration marker didn't seem to change (Granted, I had a novice bonecarver so I wasn't expecting much) but I don't understand why it applied four different decorations to the same spear rather than one decoration to 4 different items (which is what I wanted).

The description of the spear DID mention all the different bones used to decorate it, but it's value at the trade depot didn't reflect having four layers of decorations on it.

Is this a bug or working as intended?

It's working as intended - an item can get a separate decoration in every single 'material' you have on hand. In the case of bone/horn etc. this means a spear can e.g. get decorations in goat bone, goat horn and goat hoof, as well as cow horn, pig hoof and groundhog bone. Each of those is a single material. Dwarfs take the closest available item to decorate, and items already in the workshop are the closest of them all (they're also acceptable when stockpiles are linked to 'give' to the workshop).

If you want many different items decorated, the best approach is to take a valuable metal and order studding with it. Since you can't put two decorations in gold on a single item, a "stud with gold/R" order will go through decoratable items pretty quickly.

Bone decorations are typically quite low-value, bones and horns of ordinary domestic animals have a value multiplier of x1, so a no-quality bone image is worth a whole 10 ☼, a masterwork one 120. EDIT: and in case there are any misunderstandings, decoration value is only _added_ to the value of the item itself; say an exceptional steel spear is rated at 2700☼, adding three types of well-crafted and one of standard bone decorations will increase the value to an incredible 2770☼. Bone decorations are convenient to get rid of excess bone, little else.

(Bones themselves have a value of zero because that's the base value of the bone 'item', a decoration has an item value of ten.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:42:53 pm by Larix »

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »

Turning all that bone into bolts sounds like a more viable option then.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 04:46:31 pm »

Thank you for the extensive answer. The only reason I'm curious about bone decorations is for the purposes of preferred items.

Would I be correct in saying that if a dwarf prefers cow bones and I have a cow-bone decorated, say, table in the dining room that they will take note of that and get an extra happy thought? (Even if the decoration itself is only worth 10)

I agree that bone bolts is the best thing to do with your normal bones, but hooves and horns cannot be made into bolts, but they CAN be used as decorations via the "Decorate with Horn" option.