Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't they CLEAN?!?  (Read 547 times)

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't they CLEAN?!?
« on: January 18, 2008, 01:58:00 am »

I have, on average, about 20-30 dwarves idle, all of whom have Cleaning AND all the hauling tasks enabled.  So why, oh why, am I getting miasma from rotten rat remains every few minutes?

It's driving me nuts, I swear.

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Krapula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't they CLEAN?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:03:00 am »

Make sure you have refuse stockpile big enough for corpses and other cr*p. You can also make garbage zone and mark corpses as dump if it bothers you too much. I sometimes get miasma at butcher's workshop when my butchers not doing his job so it's good idea to make it in room with doors.
Witty signature pending...

eltorre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:09:00 am »

if you enable dump corpses on options->refuse options, all the corpses will be dumped on the dump zone.
but it destroys the butchery economy (all the corpses all dumped rather than butchered...)

or you can manually tag the corpses to be dumped...

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by eltorre:
<STRONG>if you enable dump corpses on options->refuse options, all the corpses will be dumped on the dump zone. </STRONG>

I thought that the small things like that count as other. Not corpses.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

Also make sure that the option to gather refuse from outside is enabled. Maybe that's the problem if you have some part of your fortress which count as outside for any reason.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

Okay, figured it out.

So my refuse pile was *almost* full, but not quite.  BUT!  There were enough things waiting to go into it, that dwarves hadn't gotten around to hauling yet, that the free spots were 'taken'.

Therefore, the rotten rat remains that the cat oh-so-thoughtfully left behind were able to stink up my food stockpile.  Bleh.

I have created a MUCH BIGGER refuse pile outside; hopefully they'll use it.  What have we learned, kiddies?  That's right!  Take out your garbage!

*sigh*

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

In my last (and first  :) ) fortress I had a hole several Z levels deep, designated as garbage dump. Due to a quirk these never fill up (all stuff goes into one space). A quick solution for the garbage problem. Too bad that now the goblins are using it to store the corpses of my slaughtered dwarves.
fox has become enraged!