Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guards vs Soldiers & General Guarding  (Read 597 times)

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guards vs Soldiers & General Guarding
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »

So I can put Dwarves into squads and order them around and have them partrol... or I can make them fortress guards, which has them roam on their own. But... what do the guards do? Will they fight critters? Should they be armed? Are they just to watch other Dwarves and keep them honest? Will having more guards reduce the number of thefts and child-killings (haven't had the latter yet, but read about it here)? Will having soldiers impact these things? What's a good number of guards to have?

On a similar note, I can't seem to be able to dedicate cages to justice. I can put down chains and ropes and dedicate them to justice, but not cages. What am I missing?

Finally, I had chains dedicated to justice and guards roaming around, but no one got throwin in jail, despite tantrums going on. Do I need a Sheriff/Captain of the Guard for this to work? Or just more guards? Is the whole justice thing worthwhile or should I just lock peeps up in their rooms?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Guards vs Soldiers & General Guarding
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »

Wooden cages won't work for justice.

I thought appointing fortress guards required that you already have a mayor and sheriff (who at that point becomes Captain of the Guard). Did you "lose" the sheriff somehow?

Guards act seem to do all the same things off-duty soldiers do, plus they do throw criminals in jail--at least if you have a sheriff/captain, anyhow. They won't lock anyone up until they actually inflict some damage somewhere, though.

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>Wooden cages won't work for justice.</STRONG>

That's my cage problem, then.

As for the Sheriff, she went on a muredrous rampage and was eventually captured and lynched by the citizens.

So... what do the off-duty soldiers do?  ;)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »

Wander around, hang out, practice their weapons skills, attack anything dangerous that gets too close.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »

How do I set up a soldier as Fortress Guard?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 12:17:00 am »

First, you need a living Captain of the Guard, a noble who should arrive with your mayor, I think.

Then, choose an activated military dwarf.  Go to the 'v' screen of the dwarf in question, and select details...  er, the menu before you'd go to change their jobs, I forget the key.

Anyway, there should be an option there to turn them into a fortress guard.  While they're a guard, you can't give them any specific orders as far as I can tell, but you can turn them back at any time using the same process.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One