Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad not using helmets  (Read 879 times)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Squad not using helmets
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:26:02 am »

So I make a squad of dwarves and make a new uniform. The uniform contains only three items: Bronze Helmets, Shields and a Pick. The 5 dwarves in question are already miners but I have a backup stockpile of 5 more picks just in case the civilian/military item bug hits.

I have a room defined as a barracks with an armor stand and weapons stand in it. I have a stockpile that has 5 spare picks, 5 wooden shields and 5 bronze helmets. (The squad is exactly 5 dwarfs strong)

I activate the squad and station them in their barracks. They all pick up a shield, but none of them pick up a helmet. I change my uniform to say "Helmets" rather than "Bronze Helmets" but that doesn't help. I toggle the 'replace clothing' option but that doesn't work either.

When I stand the squad down, they put their shields back and return to their mining jobs.

Why aren't they wearing their helmets? They are in the same room and same stockpile as the shields, and I have no other helmets in the fortress.

Also: Is there any way to make them keep their helmets/shields on after I stand them down?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad not using helmets
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:42:25 am »

If you have the mining labor enabled, it causes uniform conflicts (mining/woodcutting and something else as well). You need to disable these professions on all soldiers.

Other equipment issues can be typically solved by giving and canceling 's'quad orders.

Also: Is there any way to make them keep their helmets/shields on after I stand them down?
There's an "Inactive: Uniformed" option in 'm'ilitary->'s'chedule screen, but it requires them to be listed in a squad to work, even when they don't have active orders. This is sometimes used to armor important non-military dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:45:09 am by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:10:21 pm »

If I turn off their mining labor, making them drop their picks and then activate their squad (with mining picks as their uniform weapon) will they equip the pick that they just dropped? Or will they go off chasing some other pick? Will they pick it back up before getting their other (more distant) equipment?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:18:47 pm »

They'll pick up their "military" pick. Mining equipment and military equipment are mutually exclusive.

The unwillingness to put on helmets was almost certainly caused by the squad wearing civilian clothes originally - whenever possible, dwarfs will wear caps, which can't be worn together with helmets. To get them to wear helmets, you have to toggle the 'r'eplace clothing option; i don't know what went wrong that they didn't do that when you ordered them. Most likely, you didn't wait long enough (they might stick with their current schedule if they're already in the barracks) or you didn't set every single one of them to replace their cap (the flag isn't set for the entire squad, but for each single squad position individually).

If you want them to wear armour while off-duty, you have to disable their mining labour, there's no reliable way around it.