Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armaggeddon  (Read 2942 times)

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armaggeddon
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »

when I got on... around 2 weeks ago (I didnt want to post it on forums at first, but my freind insisted once I told him about it.) at least 100 cave-ins all happened in a row, I could see all the cavern layers... and there were several giant pits leading all the way down to hell.

I decided to call it the armaggedon, but then it got way, way worse- besides the demons flying to the surface at embark, clouds of lava mist was coming out of the rifts, clay all around me was exploding from teh high heat, and the only reason I had even lived this long was because I had dug into the mountain (the part that WASNT exploding.) but the notifications of cave-ins were so common that I had to quit. I went on in adventurer mode... and... well, it was even more crazy. the town I started out in? its most populous part was swallowed whole by a massive fissure. Great clouds of lava Stormed over the surface, burning the citizens alive! the ground- which was clay- literally exploded every two seconds, making the world a minefield. Giant rock pillars appeared and began to move, crushing houses- I called them rock tornadoes, still dont know how they moved.- and I barely made it away with my life (travel mode FTW). when I returned to the edge of the town around 3 minutes later, the entire town was submerged in lava, with swarms of demons flying overhead.
(question, is there unlimited lava in the world? I dont see how multiple lava oceans could get to the surface.)

oh, ps.... I turned off cave-ins to get rid of the messages. and once I did that, the armaggeddons stopped. the holes there were still there, of course, but the lava (slowly) drained back into the earth, and for some unknown reason, the demons topside became less common. Also, no more fissures opened, no more rock tornadoes, and no more exploding earth.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:38:14 pm by Talik »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armaggeddon
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 02:41:02 pm »

O.O O.o Um, are you playing a modded version? Giant moving rock pillars?

Forgive my skepticism, but screenshots and save? I want to believe you, but what happened sounds like something out of an older version where caveins on embark were more common and I don't know of any massive catastrophe like you described in the current version.

Also, if you experienced the same thing in both places, sounds like your copy is screwed up somehow.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:05:52 pm by smjjames »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:07:52 pm »

There has been a bug where maps get terribly screwed up like this. Leads to lots of !!fun!!. I don't know about the rock tornados (caveins from above, perhaps)?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 03:22:32 pm »

the rock tornadoes dont happen anymore, but (if I can figure out how to do screenshots) then I will give you a screenshot of the fissures. I havent seen a lava sea for a couple days, either.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 03:36:57 pm »

DF doesn't have a built in screenshot key function, so you'll have to press 'print screen' and then paste into some image editing program and then save.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 03:43:35 pm »

how do I do that?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 03:59:44 pm »

how do I do that?

On most keyboards, there's literally a key labelled "print screen," although it may be abbreviated to something like "Prt Sc." Hit that key, open up paint, or some such program, and hit ctrl+v.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »

when I got on... around 2 weeks ago (I didnt want to post it on forums at first, but my freind insisted once I told him about it.) at least 100 cave-ins all happened in a row, I could see all the cavern layers... and there were several giant pits leading all the way down to hell.

I decided to call it the armaggedon, but then it got way, way worse- besides the demons flying to the surface at embark, clouds of lava mist was coming out of the rifts, clay all around me was exploding from teh high heat, and the only reason I had even lived this long was because I had dug into the mountain (the part that WASNT exploding.) but the notifications of cave-ins were so common that I had to quit. I went on in adventurer mode... and... well, it was even more crazy. the town I started out in? its most populous part was swallowed whole by a massive fissure. Great clouds of lava Stormed over the surface, burning the citizens alive! the ground- which was clay- literally exploded every two seconds, making the world a minefield. Giant rock pillars appeared and began to move, crushing houses- I called them rock tornadoes, still dont know how they moved.- and I barely made it away with my life (travel mode FTW). when I returned to the edge of the town around 3 minutes later, the entire town was submerged in lava, with swarms of demons flying overhead.
(question, is there unlimited lava in the world? I dont see how multiple lava oceans could get to the surface.)

oh, ps.... I turned off cave-ins to get rid of the messages. and once I did that, the armaggeddons stopped. the holes there were still there, of course, but the lava (slowly) drained back into the earth, and for some unknown reason, the demons topside became less common. Also, no more fissures opened, no more rock tornadoes, and no more exploding earth.

It sounds like you are playing adventure mode. We'd like a copy of the save and some pics. Just zip up the save and put it on DFFD.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 05:04:03 pm »

It sounds like you are playing adventure mode. We'd like a copy of the save and some pics. Just zip up the save and put it on DFFD.

Actually, from what the OP said, sounds like he tried to embark but had FPS death (in a way) due to all the caveins, then tried an adventure and ran into the same thing.

And yes, load it up on DFFD.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »

Actually, from what the OP said, sounds like he tried to embark but had FPS death (in a way) due to all the cave-ins, then tried an adventure and ran into the same thing.

actually, yeah. that's exactly what happened.
(note: I really don't care if you believe me or not, I will try to post a screenshot, but I only posted it because my friend wanted me to. believe me or not, I really don't care.)

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 07:47:42 pm »

To be super lazy about screenshot, simply hit "print screen", ctrl-v to paint, save, then upload to http://cubeupload.com/ for quick uploading, then post the link you get here. I want to see this end of times.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 03:10:25 am »

Actually, from what the OP said, sounds like he tried to embark but had FPS death (in a way) due to all the cave-ins, then tried an adventure and ran into the same thing.

actually, yeah. that's exactly what happened.
(note: I really don't care if you believe me or not, I will try to post a screenshot, but I only posted it because my friend wanted me to. believe me or not, I really don't care.)

Could you share the save by simply zipping it and uploading it to dffd? This explosive world is awesome.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 08:21:44 am »

good idea, I will do that.
just remember, turn on cave-ins to start the armageddon again.
um.... how do you add attachments? cause I really dont know... also, I dont know if its the world or something about my personal game file. but, whatever. I will see if it works... also, the screenshots didnt work properly.