Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Caravans and No Migrants? What Gives?  (Read 2985 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
No Caravans and No Migrants? What Gives?
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:33 pm »

I'm playing a fortress and this oddity happened, and since no one has any idea on the stories fourm (since i decided to record this ridiculousness), I decided to ask you guys. The oddity is: No caravans at all. No human, elven, or DWARVEN caravans. And I'm also not getting any migrants. I installed fortress defense mod, so its not exactly vanilla DF, but still; NO MIGRANTS OR CARAVANS!?!? Come on! This is like hardcore DF!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: No Caravans and No Migrants? What Gives?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:59:33 pm »

Are all the other civs dead? Though, I've never heard where all civs died during world gen (maybe if you let it gen for a loooooooong time).

More likely, you are probably just a billion miles from anything. If you embarked far enough away from other civilizations, it could take a while before they begin arriving.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:02:05 pm »

Are all the other civs dead? Though, I've never heard where all civs died during world gen (maybe if you let it gen for a loooooooong time).

More likely, you are probably just a billion miles from anything. If you embarked far enough away from other civilizations, it could take a while before they begin arriving.

Its third year in... No migrants excluding the first two, and no caravans. When I checked the different dwarven civs, I found one not marked on the map, which was odd. Does this mean anything?

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:19 pm »

If you press c (view civilizations), does it list any friently civs nearby?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »

If you press c (view civilizations), does it list any friently civs nearby?
It lists dwarves as a friendly civ, rest is kobalds/goblins

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 09:00:43 am »

Did you embark on an island or an area isolated by mountains?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:52:48 am »

It lists dwarves always as a neighbor. If it would'nt, you couldn't embark.

Your civ is dead. Two first migration waves are hard-coded and they come always. But if nobody has came after thta, nor migrants nor caravans, your home civilization is dead.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:04:28 am »

Your civ is dead. Two first migration waves are hard-coded and they come always. But if nobody has came after thta, nor migrants nor caravans, your home civilization is dead.

Well shit

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »

Couldn't he simply be isolated, as James said? He's seen neither elf nor human, and those should have come even if his civ was extinct. If he embarked on a desert island/subcontinent, nobody can reach his fort, no?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:04 pm »

Couldn't he simply be isolated, as James said? He's seen neither elf nor human, and those should have come even if his civ was extinct. If he embarked on a desert island/subcontinent, nobody can reach his fort, no?

Its kinda frozen here, if that means anything

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:24:54 pm »

Ah, so you are at one of the poles. Yep, a billion miles from anything.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 01:44:53 pm »

Make a backup of your save.

Abandon the fort, then try to settle in the same area. Check the embark screen to see what civilizations can reach that spot. Chances are, you're isolated and no one can get to you. Your home civ may also be dead. Those are two separate issues.

You can then restore your backup save and keep playing, or not as you wish. An isolated fort can be interesting, since you have to plan for the long term and breeding your own dwarves is the only way to expand. This is slow but can give very interesting stories as you watch families form and bloodlines evolve. Note that the game has some rudimentary genetics in place, so it's kind of neat to see the traits that get passed along from parent to child.

The downside, of course, is that dwarves become precious and losing them to sieges and accidents is very costly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 05:31:10 pm »

Make a backup of your save.

Abandon the fort, then try to settle in the same area. Check the embark screen to see what civilizations can reach that spot. Chances are, you're isolated and no one can get to you. Your home civ may also be dead. Those are two separate issues.

You can then restore your backup save and keep playing, or not as you wish. An isolated fort can be interesting, since you have to plan for the long term and breeding your own dwarves is the only way to expand. This is slow but can give very interesting stories as you watch families form and bloodlines evolve. Note that the game has some rudimentary genetics in place, so it's kind of neat to see the traits that get passed along from parent to child.

The downside, of course, is that dwarves become precious and losing them to sieges and accidents is very costly.

This is my fortress, and its a great idea, but 16 dwarves is NOT a good thing.