Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fishing Bug Workaround  (Read 4032 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Fishing Bug Workaround
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 05:50:25 am »

I would gladly give an explanation, if I knew about what? I am not aware of any fishing bugs. If fishes die out from overfishing, fine, thats a feature. It doesnt happen in my mod, because the population numbers are in the ten thousands.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 06:31:45 am »

Ok, so you did increase the population numbers, but no other tricks. In vanilla they get fished out rather quicker, my stream+ponds only have populations if hundreds of fish per species.

Yea it's a feature like land animal population limits per biome, but I hope both features will get fixed/olmproved with the next update (making the world come alive after worldgen). Populations should replenish by some % each year, maybe only if they're under some cap that the biome can support. And tbh fishing for that last pond turtle in the pond should be harder than catching one of 500, i.e. chance of failure lf fishing job inversely proportional to the amount of fish left in that body of water.

And now I'm curious if anyone has modded in fish farming (live-birth sharks and other large fish are of course possible)...

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 12:52:27 pm »

Yea, I presume so as well, but that's still technically only a partial solution. Ideally there would at least be a dfhack script you could run to repopulate fish. Heck, Meph might even be able to make that part of his religion system... praying to the fish gods. :P Or it could happen automatically eg. once per year, of course.

Dagon? 

???
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 01:18:44 pm »

Yea, I presume so as well, but that's still technically only a partial solution. Ideally there would at least be a dfhack script you could run to repopulate fish. Heck, Meph might even be able to make that part of his religion system... praying to the fish gods. :P Or it could happen automatically eg. once per year, of course.

Dagon? 

???

All your dorfs might get the Innsmouth look.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 09:03:06 pm »

DFhack does seem to have something to do with checking pop (populace) and the ability to increase or decrease them. 

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 06:13:56 am »

DFhack does seem to have something to do with checking pop (populace) and the ability to increase or decrease them.

I know about checking the populations with dfhack (of both fishable fish and all the creatures that can wander to your map), but last I looked I didn't see a way to increase them. Please tell me which command I missed, if there is one.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 11:23:49 am »

I know about checking the populations with dfhack (of both fishable fish and all the creatures that can wander to your map), but last I looked I didn't see a way to increase them. Please tell me which command I missed, if there is one.

Well, when I type in region-pops, it gives me a list of commands.  One is 'region-pops boost <TOKEN> <factor>

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 12:58:37 pm »

Well, when I type in region-pops, it gives me a list of commands.  One is 'region-pops boost <TOKEN> <factor>

Hm, so it does. I guess I just skipped over that all "hm, yea, list, that's the one" and didn't check again. I am new to dfhack though.

Interesting, this does mean that a population replenishment script should be possible. E.g. +10% per year, or if under 10 individuals, +1. Or maybe even % chance of that +1.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:14:24 pm by Snaake »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 05:59:28 pm »

Dagon?
Yes, its based on that. I modded a covert cult into MasterworkDF, a cultleader might migrant into your fort and slowly convert your dwarves into carp-cultists. You get some messages before, like "A dwarf stepped on something in a corridor. Its a rotten carp. Someone has cut out its eyes."  and similar things... praying at the temple and setting up a ward reveals the cult, but its a major fight and quite a few forts have fallen that way.

Spoiler: Carp Cultist (click to show/hide)

Best Example: Story: The Purging of Shieldfrenzy

And now I'm curious if anyone has modded in fish farming (live-birth sharks and other large fish are of course possible)...
I did ;) Although with a workshop only, not much you do do about fish... I could mod that in though, living fish-spawning, you just have to dump them into a pond before they suffocate.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:01:42 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 06:02:47 am »

Dagon?
Yes, its based on that. I modded a covert cult into MasterworkDF, a cultleader might migrant into your fort and slowly convert your dwarves into carp-cultists. You get some messages before, like "A dwarf stepped on something in a corridor. Its a rotten carp. Someone has cut out its eyes."  and similar things... praying at the temple and setting up a ward reveals the cult, but its a major fight and quite a few forts have fallen that way.

Spoiler: Carp Cultist (click to show/hide)

Best Example: Story: The Purging of Shieldfrenzy

I did ;) Although with a workshop only, not much you do do about fish... I could mod that in though, living fish-spawning, you just have to dump them into a pond before they suffocate.

I was thinking more along the lines of raw fish (presumably still alive) and glass to build, maybe with fish dissection if you still even have that, and "farm fish" reactions to get eg. 1 raw fish out of it (or % chance of 1-3 fish, or whatever). Dunno if that's possible though, using raw fish as materials (probably not, because they'd rot away), or more importantly, giving them as reaction products.

I presume you're talking about the Fish pond? How do you determine which fish (pond/ocean/cave/river fish can all coexist on the same embark AFAIK) it gives, and does it still deplete the local fish population anyway?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:19 am »

Its a workshop that spawns raw fish with a low percent chance, needs custom tools like fishing nets or fishing poles, and can spawn turtles and oysters. For shell and pearl, the mood-related stuff that might be missing in your fort.

Its rather unbalanced, because you can fish in desert/glacier maps, it doesnt matter if you actually have fish or not, I cant do that. I mostly wanted to offer another way of indoor-food production, and to make fishers (I renamed fish dissection to "fish farming" in the mod) useful in maps without water.

It doesnt create a lot of food, so its ok. And the fish still needs to be processed, and the fishfarm itself is 11x11 tiles, so you need a lot of space for several farms. Overall its OK-ish, but I'd like to do it better.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »

Would it be possible to have it require a reaction or something else done to "fill" it? E.g. the aforementioned fish dissection to get roe from raw fish. This roe would be specific to the species, and thereafter that pond would only give fish of that species. Farming cavern fish in deserts should still be perfectly okAlso, is the aboveground vs. underground farming/trees thing just hard-coded, or could the fish farms be limited with this (where you can farm surface/cave fish)?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 01:49:44 pm »

If you're just trying to keep the fishing bug from affecting the rest of gameplay, adding the [SHELL] token to horn and bone material types in material_template_default.txt is sufficient. The only reason you are required to fish is to obtain shell for strange moods. Every other benefit of having a fishing industry is easily accomplished in other ways. This at least lets you ignore bugs with fishing by ignoring fishing entirely. 

How do you increase the population counts in world gen? That's a nice feature of Masterwork.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 06:26:53 pm »

If you're just trying to keep the fishing bug from affecting the rest of gameplay, adding the [SHELL] token to horn and bone material types in material_template_default.txt is sufficient. The only reason you are required to fish is to obtain shell for strange moods. Every other benefit of having a fishing industry is easily accomplished in other ways. This at least lets you ignore bugs with fishing by ignoring fishing entirely. 

How do you increase the population counts in world gen? That's a nice feature of Masterwork.

I'd just like to point out that you can get shells from other sources than fish, not as reliably of course... e.g. I have both giant snails and snail men on my current map. Shouldn't be too rare to get at least some of those creatures on non-freezing maps (in freezing biomes the options are apparently the nautilus variants, luck with titans/FB's, or trade with elves).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 01:39:23 am »

I use pet "horned cave turtle" for shells.

I cant make buildmats change the reaction outcome, so the fish pond will stay somewhat hacky. I cant even use water as a buildmat (I can, but dwarven AI is too stupid), because the dwarves only check if water is available, not if buckets and wells are there. So even with a well, your dwarves would claim "there is not bucket full of water".

Population is a simple creature token. I just opened all the creature files and did find+replace and raised them to insane numbers. No more creatures that die out so easily. its 3mins work with notepad++.
Pages: 1 [2]