Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Woodcutters just milling around doing nothing.  (Read 11418 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcutters just milling around doing nothing.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:38 pm »

Most likely it's DT. People really need to turn off all the 3rd party software before complaining about DF.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 07:40:26 pm »

Definatly not DT, i dont have anything named Dwarf therapist on my computer.

cww256

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 12:14:27 am »

I had this same problem with 0.31.03.

I was also using Dwarf Therapist.

I disabled and re-enabled woodcutting through Dwarf Therapist, but the dwarf would not pick up an axe that was in stockpile.

However, if I manually disabled and re-enabled woodcutting though the game itself, he took off straight to the stockpile and grabbed the axe.

Hope this helps.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:29:03 am »

Another thing may be that you need to assign a quartermaster dwarf in the nobles screen.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 11:12:46 am »

I'm going to go with this probably bein a military\civilian equip issue.

I've had similar wierdness issues with my axe dwarf\wood cutter. He was able to toggle between cutting trees and killing zombie warthogs just fine but then I activated him to kill once and he dropped or unequipped the axe to wrestle a skelephant. Since then
he's stuck with an axe hauling labor and a wood hauling labor. I had to dequip him and re-enable everything before he was acting normally again. I did have a supply of axes but the hybrid woodcutter\axe dwarf starting template is a bit more tempermental in this version with the new uniform code. (Which I'm very excited about once it works reliably).

*Caveat: I do use DT but only to setup custom professions for migrants and to read my dwarfs to see what they're doing. Not proof that DT isn't a factor in the problem. But it'd effect wasn't a direct job issue with the axe. Although I have experienced instances where DT assign tasks don't work until you disable them and then reenable them within DF proper.

Flenser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:01 am »

Yeah I had this problem just now. In the military equip screen I turned off Battle Axe and also turned off the unspecified weapons. Then my woodcutter went into action.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:15 am »

Ooof, wow, thread necro.  I didn't realize it at first, until I saw the "quartermaster" mentioned, and then I saw "2010" on all the posts.

The quartermaster doesn't exist any more, so ignore that part.

The rest is still legitimate -- military gets first pick of axes, and then wood-cutters can get whatever is left over, if anything.  If your wood-cutter isn't doing her jobs, first check her inventory to see if she's actually got an axe.  If she doesn't, then make some more.  Metal axes are obviously preferred, but wooden training axes made at the carpenter's shop can cut down trees, and wood-cutters will happily use them.

If you're absolutely out of lumber and therefore can't even make any training axes, then you may have to unassign axes from your military, as Flenser noted.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ink_runner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 10:50:43 am »

Hello brothers of the anvil,

I don't know whether I'm committing the same kind of mistake (which I'm still unaware of) but my woodcutter dwarves are idling even there are accesible axes at hand, wood stockpile and designated trees to cut.

Hope there will be an answer soon.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:54:50 am by ink_runner »

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »

I've had this issue with miners and woodcutters.  the problem for me, stemmed from the fact that i was melting goblinite and accidently designated the picks and axes that they were using for melting.  the metal workers then tracked down the dwarfs and forcibly removed said axes and pickes to take them for melting.  Said dwarfs being lazy and having never recieved a new order from their manager to get another axe or pick they just stop working.  I've found removing their labor, then re-enabling it causes their manager to tell them to get another pick/axe.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 12:35:34 pm »

Yeah, this is why you don't draft your woodcutters or use the same axes for your woodcutters and soldiers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dyaxt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:14 am »

I had the same problem with both woodcutters and 2 out of 4 Miners not cutting/picking.

I am sure I have figured the problem out for good. So, read on.

The idle ones had no weapons equipped. I tracked down all individual picks and axes via "z", "Stocks", "Weapons", "TAB", choose individual weapon and press "z". I guess you need a bookkeeper first who counts your stocks.

What I found out is that 2 picks had been used by my 2 non-idle miners. All the other weapons got a zoom on a built spike trap at the entrance of my fortress. I found that very strange. I then removed the trap ("q", go to specific trap and press "x").

As soon as the trap had been removed, all the missing weapons got spilled out around the old trap spot.

All my idle Woodcutters/Miners went straight for those weapons and started working as there was never any problem.

I hope that helps you guys. Have a nice play.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:45:46 am by Dyaxt »
Pages: 1 [2]