Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long should I wait before breaking quarantine?  (Read 779 times)

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How long should I wait before breaking quarantine?
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:58:44 am »

Hi everyone,

I've searched on the forums but I couldn't find a solution to this particular problem.

So I was attacked by a werechinchilla (yeah...) and two of my dwarves were bitten. I've isolated them and placed them in quarantine, with enough food and drink for about two years. I've waited a season, but they haven't turned. How long should I wait before I know whether or not they are safe? How long should they remain in quarantine before I know whether or not they are infected?

Thanks!
-NS

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long should I wait before breaking quarantine?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:07:30 am »

Well, someone posted the dates of the full moon in this section (the astronomy and calendar thread), so maybe wait for one of those dates to pass, or wait for two full moons to pass to be sure?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:30:00 am »

check the combat log for any biting attacks that penetrated the skin.
An important thing to note is that it should be the attack itself penetrating skin layer, not subsequent shaking.
So you want lines like this:
Werelizard bites the Recruit in the upperbody, tearing apart the skin and bruising the muscle!

If all biting attacks ended with bruises, your soldiers are safe from the curse.

alternatively as a cheaty way you could check with the legends mode.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:21:01 am »

But I guess a werecreature turns every full moon, right? So a season should be more than enough time...?

Note that having weredwarfs is not a bad thing, per se. AFAIU, every month they fully reset all wounds, hunger, etc, so they can be a very nice first line of defense; just check that you don't send them out to fight just before full moon or you will have two problems :-)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »

If you've waited a season, you should be fine. Sometimes a dwarf can take a serious mauling from a werebeast and somehow not get infected. It makes me wonder if maybe there's some dice rolling behind the scenes for infection chances.