Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No goblins = no fun  (Read 1015 times)

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No goblins = no fun
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:17:29 pm »

My fortress is now 5 year old and has reached max population (200 dwarves). The only things that happened until now was some kobolt thieves and two underground forgotten beasts.

Fortress value is amazing, i have lots of gold. I've read that it could be happening because there is no goblin settlement in range, having no goblin thieves is a clear signal too.

This is a little bit boring and i am considering abandoning this one and creating a new fortress somewhere else. Before doing that i would like to know if there is something i can do to attract more "Fun" to my area.

Thanks in advance!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No goblins = no fun
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 05:24:44 pm »

Increase your wealth, that will attract FBs and other stuff.

Of course though, if you embarked on an island or an isolated mountain valley, it's going to be hard or impossible for things to get to you.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:08:34 am »

Increase exported wealth, Just sell useless crafts to caravans for soap or something.
That should attract more visitors.

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:24:55 am »

I will try to give away some gold crafts. Lets see wgat happens.

Thnks!

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:20:05 pm »

Increase exported wealth, Just sell useless crafts to caravans for soap or something.

good luck with that ;-)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 02:09:03 pm »

With unmodded game, you can embark on cursed biomes near undead towers. Of course it will be more annoying than fun, having to whack-a-mole undead all the time.

With modding, you could try Masterwork mod.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Blargg Loves Biscuits

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 03:06:51 pm »

visiting the circus is always Fun.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:13:50 am »

If you decide to abandon, try to create some especially interesting dwarfs before you do.  You might get them as migrants later.  An influx of crippled refugees, legendary warriors, or PTSD victims living on shattered nerves and a hair's breadth away from insanity, could make for some fun.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.