Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Self-preservation in insane/melancholy dwarfs  (Read 643 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Self-preservation in insane/melancholy dwarfs
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:32:21 am »

I was finishing up the cistern and the insane dwarf camped out inside.  I had just decided to wall him in since there were not any witnesses but he came zipping out once I set the construct order.  Now if I could just get him to feed himself.  Maybe I could injure him and get him spoon fed at the hospital.  Has anyone else noticed this contradictory behavior?

Speaking of my cistern:  I filled it from a 2 z deep sub-cistern because I thought (wrongly) it was going to keep me from getting mud.  (I was not aware of it during embark process, but apparently I have a 6-z's-and-counting aquifier in a 2x2 embark)
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Self-preservation in insane/melancholy dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:01:07 pm »

Even if you COULD force feed him, you wouldn't be able to get the dwarf to do any labors.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:14:25 pm »

mud is only a problem if you have only one level of water and even then only a serious problem if you have much less than 7/7. To prevent trees and shrubs, put a paved road at the bottom or something, though I think many of those things wither in the water
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:27:55 pm »

mud is only a problem if you have only one level of water and even then only a serious problem if you have much less than 7/7. To prevent trees and shrubs, put a paved road at the bottom or something, though I think many of those things wither in the water

so it isn't where the pump draws from that needs to be 2 deep; it is where the well draws from?  If I had constructed the floor rather than smoothing, would it have helped?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:38:42 pm »

yes, constructed floors also prevent plant growth and yes, the 'muddy water' is determined where the well draws from, or where the dwarf goes to fill the bucket. Any place that gets some water on it will develop mud, the constructed roads/floors too, just nothing will grow on paved roads and constructed floors. You can't get rid of the mud, ever, but if the well is deep enough, noone will notice
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:41:01 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:53:45 pm »

Mud only appears on the level with the floor. If you have water above that, the dwarves will draw from the level with just the water.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.