Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating the ideal room for my Mayor  (Read 845 times)

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating the ideal room for my Mayor
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Hi everyone

I've reached the stage where the expedition leader becomes Mayor, and i've started to think of how to arrange her bedroom

She wants lots of furniture (cabinet, coffers, etc...) and if i am to make her a valuable place to live in, i was considering giving her Aluminum furniture, the most precious metal i have at my disposal

But she seems to really like Rose Gold : it's in her description, and she also just mandated the creation of Rose Gold items

So i was wondering if i should give her Rose Gold furniture instead of Aluminum (material value : 23 vs 40)

Thanks for help
Bog'

ilnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating the ideal room for my Mayor
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

replace the top 5 layers of the mountain with a rose gold peak, with gem windows :)
if you dont have a mountain handy, build one!
 laugh in the face of danger,
then i run away.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

i'd go with the rose gold, i think she'll like it more
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

I'm kinda worried that by the time i finish this, she might be pretty mad at me for making her wait three and a half years for her bedroom..

Also, i have no idea how to build such a thing   ;)

Can you explain to me how to build a tower-like building?

I know how to make walls, but how would i make a dwarf-made ceiling to be able to build on the next Z-level?

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Bogdanov ]

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

The same way you do walls, but instead of "w" for walls, you press "some other key" for an Upward Stairs, within the area of your building, and at the next highest Z level, build a downward stairs in the same manner on the same space. Then you build floors all around it, and walls, and do the same thing on the next level with the floors to create a ceiling for the second level.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

It depends on what your goal is. To raise the room value in general, aluminium. To raise the room value to your Mayor and / or make the Mayor happy, that is less certain. It depends on how big the "liking a material" factor is, but at value 23 to 40, this would need to double the perceived value of items for rose gold to beat out aluminium. If you want the Mayor's room to just meet her requirements, plain old rock will do that. From a roleplaying perspective and only from a roleplaying perspective does making them from rose gold make sense.

That said, the roleplaying perspective is probably the most important. Making the room "good enough" is trivially easy. One hint, give her what she requires as soon as possible, even if that means her furniture is initially rock. They can be replaced as the metallic furniture gets completed.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 03:15:00 am »

I finally went for Rose Gold everywhere : walls and furniture

The room is 13x11, it has every piece of furniture the Mayor asked for, some of them are also encrusted with gems or decorated with bone.

Only the floor isnt made of Rose Gold, it's smooth Obsidian

Result -> The Mayor is of course crazy about her bedroom, but Rose Gold was apparently enough to attain the "Royal" title for the bedroom, dining room and office so i guess this would do for anybody, if my current mayor was to die or be replaced for some reason

Thanks for help, everyone  :)

eltorre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 07:07:00 am »

a 3x3 masterfully engraved room into magnetite is royal (with arround half master engravings).
if it isnt royal, just a little effort will make it (a exceptional bed, a chest and a cabinet will do). i have all my nobles room, office and dining room in a magnetite patch.

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

i guess i kinda overkilled the challenge then  :D

well, nevermind, she's happy, and so am i, the tower is cool ^^

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

I've found a quick 'n' easy way to meet challenges like that.  And, considering how many nobles I, er, liquidate, I like being able to re-use their rooms for the next victim.

What I do is smooth+engrave the walls, then build floors over the top of whatever's already there, using the highest-grade material I can (aluminum, gold, whatever).  I build a design of some sort (cross, star, swirl, whatever) of their favored material into the middle.  It satisfies the general noble requirement to reach Royal status, and it also hits their personal little hot button for whatever it is they like (rose gold, for example).  And when they die off, and the next noble moves in, I can remove the personalized bit and replace it with whatever the next noble likes.

I think of it as changing the carpet in the office for the new VIP, heh.

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

A side question : what is the point of killing off nobles?

Or are you not killing them on purpose? I think i'm missing something...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

Often, if a noble likes (for example) mugs, they will forbid you from exporting mugs.  This is a problem if you -like- exporting mugs.

Or if a noble likes platinum, they may demand that you make platinum items--never mind that you have no platinum in your whole mountain.

God help you if you violate any of these, as they'll send the Hammerer after someone and an innocent dwarf will get maimed or die!

So when a noble sets a pesky mandate, they tend to have an 'accident'.  That results in high noble turnover, until you find a group of nobles with sane preferences that you can live with.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

I see, i never reached yet the part where you get a hammerer so i think i'll go read the wiki about this a bit  :)

Thanks for answer

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

the best room for a noble is a room with either a lava shower or a waterfall.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

Keilden: ... or both, which can be switched on or off at will.  Drown them, roast them, or steam them: it's EASY with the Nobility Turnover Machine!
Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax