Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Need Advice: Massive Undead Trap  (Read 2128 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice: Massive Undead Trap
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 06:53:23 pm »

An update on this.

I've built the minecart run, which I recommend be at least 20 squares long for the 'kill passage', with lava on one side to toss parts into.  Also, try to keep it 2+ Zs deep or you end up with smoke and stuff that seems to confuse the undead, and so that corpses can't skip across the magma surface.

However, there's a problem.  You end up with a massive corpse jam-up at the far corner of the straight.

So if you've got this, entering from the west:

╚╚╚╚╚╚╚m═m╝

You end up with a massive corpse pile-up in the corner.

A fortification tailing that corner works fine until the cart hits a corpse, then the corpse and the cart both end up over the fortification.  I need to go mess with cart skipping and magma passage to see if I can figure out a way to drag the corpses into the lava with the cart, with the cart able to escape.  I may need to apply power to this process.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 07:46:10 pm »

Here's a possible device;

Minecarts sweep enemies into the holes, bottom level filled with magma (7/7 to start, 5/7 running, 6/7 returned to idle), the smoke won't make it all the way back up the holes (maybe an occasional tile), no power, stacks nicely,  enemy-pathed tiles all have linear-accelerator ramps so no jams.

The grates for stopping the minecarts and their control mechanisms have to be magma-proof as the minecarts dump their loads of magma each time they fall down the holes - maybe bonus.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Might be able to make it smaller depending on the amount/ affect of the smoke that might make it back up the hole. Silver minecarts don't seem to spend enough time in the magma pit to melt - so far.

edit; added; then corrected:

z-1;
minecarts come up from the south onto accelerators shoot to hole ends and fall in and straight down to z-7

z-7
minecarts land on impulse ramp in magma and are boosted up EW straight track ramps to side

z-6, z-5, z-4
minecarts come up onto impulse ramps from the side and are boosted up EW straight track ramps continuing to side

z-3
minecarts come up onto impulse ramps from the side and are boosted up SE (left side) or SW (right side) corner track ramps heading south and up a level

z-2
minecarts come up onto impulse ramps from the north and are boosted up  NE (left) or NW (right) corner track ramps heading north and up a level
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:15:25 am by Crashmaster »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 08:02:25 pm »

Crash, that's wild.  I need to sit with it and think about it a bit... or see it running.  I'm not sure I quite grok it.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 02:44:47 pm »

Modest Mod has a tweak that allows magma to directly kill and burn zombies while alive. You might be able to find the change yourself. I mean, let's be honest, this is something that probably should work this way, right?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 01:43:31 am »

Good recommendation Hague, but I'm wary of introducing new elements into the middle of a challenge game, and thus throwing my save into heart attacks.  I'll probably install that when FurnaceClans dies though.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 12:49:44 pm »

Modest Mod has a tweak that allows magma to directly kill and burn zombies while alive. You might be able to find the change yourself. I mean, let's be honest, this is something that probably should work this way, right?

I think it just sets the melting and/or boiling points of the tissue materials, i.e. muscle, bone, sinew etc. to something below magma temperatures. By default they're all MELTING_POINT:NONE and BOILING_POINT:NONE, I think (checked muscle, but not all of them). That's been mentioned in other instances, at least. This should be doable in a running game just fine, just remember to edit the save raws (and backup the whole save if you're worried) as usual. But it does mean that a simpler setup than WanderingKid's would probably suffice, as you only need to get the things into the magma, you don't have to care about killing them first.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »

It's not the heat changes to the tissues that worries me, it's the binary that's included for the bug fixes.  I may simply adjust the raws the way you recommend but I'm relatively new to modding DF directly.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »

Yea, I was suggesting just doing the raw edits, definitely not suggesting installing modest mod mid-save.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 06:30:25 am »

Re: raw edits for burning the undead:
I'd recommend Arkhometha's research in the subject.
Pages: 1 2 [3]