Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Problem: Urist McStubborn refuses to aknowledge new orders  (Read 442 times)

oreganor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At my 6th fort I finnally got most of nut'n bolts about military alerts+schedule system but there are some "weirdness" that I wish to know if they are bugs (to report them) or that I'm still doing something wrong.

The setup I have problems with is the one I designed to prepare myself for the "problematic" late months on each seasson, details follow (It's the same on all seassons so I just refer to early, mid & late as the months).

ALERT: Active/Training
-ROOKIE SQUAD-
Early: Patrol Route (10 min)
Mid: Train (10 min)
Late: Defend Burrow [Rdy room] (10 min)
-VETERAN SQUAD-
Early: Train (10 min)
Mid: Patrol (10 min)
Late: Defend Burrow [Rdy room] (10 min)

ALERT: Siege
All Squads
Early = Mid = Late = Defend Burrow [Gate room] (10 min)

The route is the same for all melees, the [Rdy room] is a burrow defined just ahead of my trap row into the main caravan entrance (To be rdy to send them to intercept ambushes) while [Gate room] is behind the trap row and the bridge I use to block access to the main entrance (That's when I get a full siege instead of the ambushes).

Weirdness I'm constantly getting (I keep my soldiers by default on "Active/training" Alert level and I swith manually to "Siege" if I get one):

Urist McGump. There are a lot of Soldiers that on Mid -> Late switch refuse to aknowledge their new orders and insist on "keep on running" completing the FULL route before doing anything else (Obviously, on slow ones, and due to the size of the route, they are invariable catched out of the fort when something FUN happens around the 15th on the last month).

Urist McWallace. At the very moment I swap Alert level to "Siege" on the Late month, most of my melees on the "Rdy room" obediently move back to the "Gate room" but a few bloodthirsy dwarves shout something about "for freedom" and charge outside to remote parts of the map with the poor excuse of taking a "Sparring Session" in the wilderness... (In reality I suspect what they really want is to fight alone versus full siege armies to come back with tales of heroic feats and get all the chicks' attention). Notice that this happens with enemy squads still freshly spawned on the edge... And the locations my Bravehearts rush to are random and very far away and ALL show "Sparring Session" on their current job, instead of "Defending Gate Room" as their obedient fellows do.

Urist vonEidetic. Over the course of most late month FUN I have to give move and kill orders to my squads to try to bring some order into the chaos but... When the month goes over and the schedule is changed, ALL soldiers remember perfectly the target location of the last order they were manually given and go diligently back to the place the target was to check that it's not there before returning to what the schedule is ordering them to do. Too bad that they do not remember the target was already killed days or weeks ago or the station order was manually cancelled.

Is there something I'm missing? Or this is just dwarwen logic at its full potential ;)?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:04:56 pm by oreganor »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Military Problem: Urist McStubborn refuses to aknowledge new orders
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:47:56 pm »

I'm not sure what's causing the second issue you have, but:

Urist McGump. There are a lot of Soldiers that on Mid -> Late switch refuse to aknowledge their new orders and insist on "keep on running" completing the FULL route before doing anything else (Obviously, on slow ones, and due to the size of the route, they are invariable catched out of the fort when something FUN happens around the 15th on the last month).

Usually when a job is queued the dwarf doing it will not stop until it is done, cancelled, or a more urgent task such as eating or sleeping come up. Those who had switched to their new orders "early" had likely already finished their route or were not currently running the route, and were re-stocking on supplies or resting instead.
Urist vonEidetic. Over the course of most late month FUN I have to give move and kill orders to my squads to try to bring some order into the chaos but... When the month goes over and the schedule is changed, ALL soldiers remember perfectly the target location of the last order they were manually given and go diligently back to the place the target was to check that it's not there before returning to what the schedule is ordering them to do. Too bad that they do not remember the target was already killed days or weeks ago or the station order was manually cancelled.

I've noticed this too. No idea why, but it seems that when a military dwarf gets some idle time they will go back to the last place they saw an enemy.

oreganor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 03:01:26 am »

Thanks for the reply. Job persistence makes sense... So I will have to optimize the routes (or even reduce) used on Mid month and maybe split the groups between different smaller routes (That fort embark zone is split in half by a river... so even "simple" whole map routes like 4 waypoints on the map's corners result on complex pathing through my bridge).

Regarding vonEidetics I guess it's a well known issue of Dwarven logic on the field, they just want to be sure their assigned enemy is really dead ;).

I will try to research McWallaces in a more detailed way, maybe it's linked to job persistence also but... I fail to see how they suddenly feel the urgency to train in the middle of nowhere (The training orders are executed properly in their barracks when the schedule appoints them to "Train").

EDIT: Seems that I still missed some "bolts" on the military deployment system... McWallaces were just confused by a mistake I made while copy'n pasting orders. The "Active/Training" alert schedule for Late months for them wasn't just "Defend Burrow [Rdy Room] 10 min" it ALSO contained "Train 10 min"... The poor souls were just trying to divide themselves betwen both orders... Probably their "charge" was just a "last order" checkout done before going back to train at their barracks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:54:14 am by oreganor »

oreganor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:48:37 am »

After an intense spy session following what my military was doing, most "weirdness" are triggered by Urist vonEidetics (After I fixed the problem with the 2 conflicting orders).

Seems that patrol orders are in fact issued as a sequence of station orders to each waypoint on the route, and what is happening with my McGumps is that they simply check the last possition ordered (ie the last Waypoint commanded before the schedule switch), just as if I had commanded manually them to kill/station somewhere. So in reality vonEidetics and McGumps are triggered by the same logic problem. They clearly show "Defend Burrow" as their current job (And there is no pending patrol/station/kill jobs) but they go and check the possition of the last "direct" command anyways... OFC, if that particular waypoint is one of the farther ones... Prepare for FUN!!! ;).

Going to check the bug database and see if this is reported somewhere because smells like a bug, tbh.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:52:03 am by oreganor »