Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about fortifications...  (Read 992 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about fortifications...
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:48:47 pm »

Long story short - found a vampire among my populace.  Instead of killing him plan to make him a military squad, post him in the book keeper's apartment, block him in and make him the book keeper.  Only problem, I think he made friends.  If I make the walls on the side touching the hallways fortifications could people still chat with him?  I know some sealed Forts do that to have the Mayor talk to visiting liasons from the Mountainhomes.   

PS - Or would manger be a better position as a book keeper may need to move about?  I forgot...:D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:50:19 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about fortifications...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:15:44 am »

I think you're thinking of the broker, since all managers or bookkeepers need are offices to work in.

It might be possible for dwarves to talk to the vampire through the fortifications if they are idle near him, but so long as his prison is away from high traffic areas all he will have is (quite literal) passing acquaintances. Except for anyone he was already friends with before being entombed, of course.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:51:28 am »

I know that mayors can hold meetings through walls, but I'm not sure if they can 'talk' through them.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:18:25 am »

He has no Friends and, being a vampire, had no social life at all.  So he has been entombed in a nice apartment.  Bedroom, dining room, office, with a nice cabinet in the bedroom and every inch of the stone engraved.  Even some wild animals in a cage in the office. He seems very happy and has been made my book keeper.   :D

The wiki has pointed out that, as he is now impossible for most creatures or foes to get at, my Fortress is now eternal?  As Dwarfs will continue to migrate even if everybody else is killed.  Because as long as he lives..er...exists my Fortress exists!    :o

Maybe I should have made him my manger?  You know, having a blood sucking boss and all.   :P

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:33 am »

He has no Friends and, being a vampire, had no social life at all.  So he has been entombed in a nice apartment.  Bedroom, dining room, office, with a nice cabinet in the bedroom and every inch of the stone engraved.  Even some wild animals in a cage in the office. He seems very happy and has been made my book keeper.   :D

The wiki has pointed out that, as he is now impossible for most creatures or foes to get at, my Fortress is now eternal?  As Dwarfs will continue to migrate even if everybody else is killed.  Because as long as he lives..er...exists my Fortress exists!    :o

Maybe I should have made him my manager?  You know, having a blood sucking boss and all.   :P

He can be manager and book keeper both. And ghosts can still injure and kill him if the fortress crumbles around him in a violent manner. And he can go mad if his clothes rot off. Maybe if he was caged before being walled away, he'd be completely invulnerable.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:46:37 am »

The ultimate insurance against fortress death is an insane (stark raving mad or melancholic) in cage with no access to outer world.
If a vampire is sane, he can go berserk and you lose
If he's free ghosts can kill him

Now if his cage is stockpiled a poltergeist could theoretically throw it into a volcano, and if a cage it built than a poltergeist could theoretilcally break it open, but I've never heard of such occurences.
Anyway. I just execute all vampires I find. 50 hammerstrikes and death by infection for them bloodsuckers! eternal life and possible usefulness are not valid excuses for killing your fellow dwarves!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:36:07 am »

Anyway. I just execute all vampires I find. 50 hammerstrikes and death by infection for them bloodsuckers! eternal life and possible usefulness are not valid excuses for killing your fellow dwarves!

But my Fortress is being designed as a Class System.  Surface Dwellers (Lower Class), Stone Class (Middle Class), and Nobles (Upper Class).  Those killed by the vampire were only peasants.  Hmmm...I hope the walls can contain him if he goes nuts.  I prefer a insane vampire trapped in a chamber than a insane vampire going berserk in my Fortress and living quarters. 

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »

Thankfully, there are no berserk vampire ghosts. That could cause issues fun when executing them.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 01:36:02 pm »

Now I have a vampire book keeper and manger.  And I don't mean the same one.  Seems I had two vampires.  Who knew?  One DID have friends, so I have ordered the fortification of the walls between his office and the hallway.  I HOPE it will allow him to chat with friends.  We will see.   ;D

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 02:33:59 pm »

You could dump some unengraved slabs through a hole in the ceiling, and a block to make the required workshop to be able to engrave the slabs. Maybe drop a pick too, in case it's useful for digging out space for slabs.

Also, what message do you get if your last dwarf is haunted to death?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 02:42:54 pm »

You could dump some unengraved slabs through a hole in the ceiling, and a block to make the required workshop to be able to engrave the slabs. Maybe drop a pick too, in case it's useful for digging out space for slabs.

Also, what message do you get if your last dwarf is haunted to death?

You don't get a message, since no-one is left to discover the body. Unless you mean the game over screen, which is the usual "Your fortress has crumbled to it's end." message.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 08:10:58 pm »

If your going to go to that much trouble you may want to have him practice carving track into the floor, smooth it over and repeat till he's a legendary engraver.  by the time your fort implodes he's going to be in serious booze withdrawal and be slow as heck doing anything, you dont want the engraving process to take any longer than it already will by him being unskilled.   If its a largeish fort  with 100+ unburried dead you could end up with 20 or so ghosts in short order.