Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does one use a Sheriff, and a military in general?  (Read 676 times)

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does one use a Sheriff, and a military in general?
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:41:00 am »

I've recently gotten a sheriff, and with much expense, set up a couple of cages. My understanding is that a Sheriff will arrest those throwing a tantrum, and lock them away so they can't hurt anyone.

Yet. mine has ignored fullscale riots.

How does one put a sheriff to use? Also, will patrols and such deal with angry dwarves as well? If so, how? I've never really been able to get my recruits or sworddwarves to do more than idle about.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does one use a Sheriff, and a military in general?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 01:50:00 am »

Have you designated the chains or cages for justice? What does the Justice screen show in the upper right hand corner? If it's 0/6 or something, then you should designate the room to be used by justice.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 02:07:00 am »

I had not!

I knew there was something I was overlooking.

Thank you for the nudge in the right direction.

[ August 22, 2006: Message edited by: Citizen of Erl ]

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:57:00 am »

Note that lockings omeone in the slammer will give them unhappy thoughts for a time, and I think it's possible that they'll go insane (this is compounded by them not being able to sleep).  On the other hand, when they DO get out, if they're still sane, they'll immediately jump to being ecstatic.

Just hope your sheriff is more keen on the lockups than the beatings.

Stregone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:17:00 am »

In 0.21.104.19a I have a couple cages set up, and used one to make a room. I can't figur eout how to set the cages for justice. The justice screen says 0 of 5 cages, but I have 2 up already. I see an option on the cages to set the cage for justice use but it doesn't toggle, it just cancels me back to the previous screen.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:20:00 am »

Are they wood?  Wood cages don't count for Justice, and can't be set.  Any kind of rope does count as a cage, confusingly enough, so that's what I use til the metalshops are cranking.

Maurog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »

I think that's because a rope implies that the prisoner is tied up like a mummy and just tossed in a corner unable to move a finger. With a cage he's actually locked in it, so he can use his limbs. Obviously a wooden cage can't hold a dwarf, as he can kick/punch right through.

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Maurog ]