Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If/when economics are made part of the game...?  (Read 466 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If/when economics are made part of the game...?
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:56:42 am »

I never played the older versions and wonder how that would work.  Do you need to worry about money and making a profit from the start?  How do rents work?  Who gets the money?  Do workshops become private businesses?  Will migrates build their own businesses or pay you to build them a shop or what?  Do hunters sell their meat?  How does it all work?  Would I need to mint coins after a certain point? 

I am a tad confused...
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If/when economics are made part of the game...?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »

I didnt play back then either but according to the wiki the economy didnt take effect till your fort became a barony.  Honestly I'd recomend just reading the wiki artical on it to see how it worked before but be aware theres no garentee it will return in the same form.  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Dwarven_economy

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:10:52 pm »

Thanks!

I'll check that out.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »

I skimmed the page and it's mostly a way to simulate dwarves actually owning things and such, having to 'pay' for their room etc. It can prevent you from trading stuff away, as dwarves may buy the crafts and toys you made for trading, or they'll  'buy' useless armor that you wanted to melt down. You don't need coins, it can work with credit too, a dwarf getting credit for every job. Low value jobs, like someone building an ordinary wall, pay less than someone making masterwork roasts. Owning things made them happier.

That's the short end of how it used to be, I think. No clue if something like it will come back at some point, it's not talked about in the current developers notes, so unlikely for the next version. Then again, some of the big changes from this version weren't in the notes for the first big release and were added in updates.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:01:02 pm »

I found the idea very interesting.  Not a Capitalist system, but it does make for a class system.  It allows the Nobles to roll in wealth, along with those employed in high paying jobs and of Legendary status.  It also shows how politics, and the Guilds, could have some control over employment.  "We demand work!"

Not sure how the coins would be used as it seems they would hoard them and move them about.   Seems like one would need a 'Bank' to hold the coins and the amount of coins could decide the amount of currency in circulation.  With the ability to mint coins, and with some coins coming in with each wave of immigrates it would lower prices - but for the whole 'fixed' prices thing.  :D 

Middle Ages, got to love them!