Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: natural waterfall  (Read 488 times)

branmuffincat

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me im a dwarf.
    • View Profile
natural waterfall
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:39:42 pm »

So I embarked my fortress at a river as usal and when i loaded in the river was a very strange one indeed. it had a large drop off 8 z levels down into a large section where another river joins up and flows off the map this has the effect of lungfish flying all over the place. So is this waterfall going to impact my frames in a big way?

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: natural waterfall
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:53 am »

Flowing water does hit framerate. While normal rivers are okay (the fluids code is optimized for handling those) waterfalls, either natural or artificial, are not.

I wouldn't worry too much though. Just keep in mind, much later in the game if you ever need to squeeze an extra frame or two, you can dam the river which is feeding the waterfall. Doing that during cold months, when the water freezes, is going to be pretty easy.

That's if you're in a biome where water freezes at all, otherwise damming the river would require some more involved dwarven engineering.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: natural waterfall
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:11:18 am »

That's if you're in a biome where water freezes at all, otherwise damming the river would require some more involved dwarven engineering.
Wall off the river all the way upstream to the map edge (using bridges for the last tile), then use a river-wide windmill- or waterwheel-powered row of pumps to pump that water back where it came from! (and then dam the river somewhere where it's dry, because this will cause flowing water and impact framerates)