Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipment option missing.  (Read 391 times)

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equipment option missing.
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:13 am »

I don't know if this is a bug or intentional. On some embarks, when I finally manage to start making armor, sometimes a piece of gear is missing. For instance, right now my magma forges for making steel armor have the option of mail shirt, breastplate, leggings, greaves, cap, helm, gauntlet, low boot, shied, and bucker.... High boot isn't an option. Going into the manager and attempting to queue up high boot by typing high gives an empty list of items.

So is the type of armor you're allowed to make dependent upon your civilization? Or is this a bug?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment option missing.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:52:51 am »

It's civ dependent.

You'll always have the ability to create some form of shoe, trouser, and body piece.  What is available, however, is variable depending on your civ's knowledge.  Not a bug, working as occassionally frustratingly intended.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:22:55 pm »

Is it possible to "learn" how to make high boots in the example given ? For the first time a fort of mine cannot make high boots either.

I beleive the raws can be edited to allow dwarves to make large armour and exotic weapons ? Does this work differently to the missing high boots above ? I assume high boots cant be modded to be always known ?

Therefore is exotic weapons and large armour are modded in is it possible that they wont be available to my civ as well ?

Cheers

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:23:53 pm »

You cannot mod in the ability to make your civilization learn to use a new type of equipment in a pre-existing game. Most changes to an entity file will require a new world to be created instead.

If you want high boots, you will have to change humans or dwarves to be the same size, then purchase them when the human caravan comes. Or, if you are really desperate, you can alter one of the pre-existing reactions that you don't use to produce the boots.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:40:21 pm »

Think of it as the games way of giving the civs distinct cultures. You'll also see it in the clothing choice sometimes.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 05:27:20 pm »

I cheat. I have an embark profile with 1 of everything I care about in it.

Before I actually embark on a given world, I check each civ to find out which ones are missing the fewest important things.