Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to know what a room is assigned as?  (Read 507 times)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to know what a room is assigned as?
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:28:05 pm »

Coming back to the game after a bit of a break and I've lost it.  I have several rooms assigned to my Expedition Leader (who holds several roles).  When I q over the rooms I can see they're assigned to him, however I don't know how to tell what they're assigned as.  Can I tell this from the main map or is the only way via the R menu?  When I q over a chair for instance, it shows the region I've blocked off and the owner but doesn't tell me what I've assigned it as.  This room also has a weapon rack in it and an armor stand and offers to let me make it a Barracks / Armory but I thought it already was and that I'd already done that.  Struggling with data display at the moment, help!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:07:54 pm by Oddible »

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to know what a room is assigned as?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:22:38 pm »

Nobles need bedrooms, offices, dining rooms, and for baron and above I think, tombs. Bedrooms are assigned from beds, tombs from coffins (you can also do memorial halls from slabs, but I don't think those count as tombs). Offices are always assigned from chairs and dining rooms from tables. Check which furniture piece you've assigned it from.

As to needing armor stands, weapon racks and chests, all 3 of those can also be used to assign barracks/armories, but that doesn't concern your nobles, it's to set up training areas for your military squads.

Lastly, there's the memorial halls and statue gardens/zoos that are just hanging-out places that you can assign from slabs, statues and built cages.

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 03:04:35 pm »

Thanks, once I've created all these rooms I'm finding it very difficult to figure out what type of room it is.  hen you Are you saying that each type of furniture can only assign a single type of room, so when I hover over my chair and find that it defines the room I will know that it is an office? (It is unfortunate that the UI doesn't say "Office" somewhere in the q UI). 

Also, can I assign multiple overlapping rooms? For instance if I have a chair, a table and a bed in a room can I make I define an office / dining room / bedroom all with similar overlapping dimensions?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 04:11:47 pm »

It could be the R menu helps (iirc), which shows all the rooms you created. Otherwise it's pretty simple as mentioned, each furniture has one room option.

Yes, you can assign multiple overlapping rooms. There is one negative side on that. Rooms sharing a space also share the value, so you need more valuable stuff there to satisfy the demands for good rooms for nobles.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:03:03 am »

I've taken to designing fully engraved cone shaped rooms with all they need at the point and just resize til it meets the requirements; that petulant baroness taught me a lesson.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:51:34 am »

Thanks, once I've created all these rooms I'm finding it very difficult to figure out what type of room it is.  hen you Are you saying that each type of furniture can only assign a single type of room, so when I hover over my chair and find that it defines the room I will know that it is an office? (It is unfortunate that the UI doesn't say "Office" somewhere in the q UI). 

Also, can I assign multiple overlapping rooms? For instance if I have a chair, a table and a bed in a room can I make I define an office / dining room / bedroom all with similar overlapping dimensions?

Yes, each type of furniture can only assign a single type of room, although there's some wiggle room there: e.g., a dining room can also be designated as a meeting hall. A cage can be either used for justice (not a room setting though, it assigns only the cage), or for setting a zoo/statue garden -type room. As others said, yes, overlapping is possible. The value-share does mean that you would need pretty fancy rooms (not that hard, if you use eg. precious metals, steel, decoration, or artifacts, and masterwork engravings...), or you could use this to just give your manager and bookkeeper a chair in their bedroom.

Rooms with gaps in their walls also get reduced value, so if you take the route of having a large space, and setting different parts of it as different rooms like Whimsywink, you'll also need to work a bit harder to get their value high enough, see this thread. A one-tile gap that you build a doorway in isn't that bad, of course, or this would have been known ages ago, but nevertheless my current fort has bedroom access via staircases. Also, walls shared by neighbouring rooms count as overlap, and engravings only count for room value on one side of the wall, so the bedrooms are also separated by 2-tile thick walls. A screenshot with design rambling:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)