Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help Understanding Seeds (the worldgen kind)!  (Read 370 times)

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help Understanding Seeds (the worldgen kind)!
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:20:51 am »

Hi all,

I've played Dwarf Fortress for a long time, but lately, I've had a want for some unique settings with particular qualities. It was at this point that I stumbled upon the Worldgen Cookbook thread. My dilemma had been solved, it seemed!

If I wasn't a newbie to such things, that is.

One thing I'd wanted to experiment with was creating a fortress based around a waterfall. So, looking at the Cookbook thread here ... http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.0

The third post down by orius seems to answer my wish! However, I don't know how to replicate his world so that I can play on the same map. I tried going into advanced generation and entering the SEED, but that didn't seem to replicate his geography; I couldn't find the area he used.

Anyone willing to offer a step-by-step, dummy guide on how to do this, please? There are so many great worlds in that thread, I'm excited to put them to use!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:01:46 am by Akoto »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help Understanding Seeds (the worldgen kind)!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:46:47 am »

Entering only the seed used doesn't suffice, the seed just applies pseudorandom permutations to all the _fixed_ parameters in the world-to-generate. To recreate the world, you have to enter all those parameters, too.

To recreate a world, you paste the entire list of world generation parameters - the code block starting at "WORLD_GEN" and properly beginning with [TITLE:***], and only ending at [VOLCANISM_RANGES:x:y:z] - into your "world_gen" file in subdirectory /data/init. Then run advanced world generation, select the title of the world, generate without further changes to the profile.

Using these steps, the world itself was generated with the proper names of world and location and apparently the same geography (i discarded the map after looking at it in the generation screen, so can't say whether the exact embark locations are faithfully reproduced, but they should). Worthy of note is that apparently the seed isn't that of the final map, the first 63 or so attempts are rejected until the iterations of the RNG produce the seed that _actually_ creates the world.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help Understanding Seeds (the worldgen kind)!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »

Just wanted to thank you for your reply, Larix. I tried it and it worked perfectly. You're a genius!

Now, it's time to build a dwarf waterfall empire!