Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carts filling with magma... or not.  (Read 588 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Carts filling with magma... or not.
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:45:38 pm »

So, I've got a confusion.  I've got a magma ditch, 4 long.  It's got a max speed roller going down the length of it, to push the cart back out.  Cart gets pushed into it, rollers through the ditch, and comes out the other side.  The ditch is filled with 7/7 magma.

The cart comes out *empty*.  It's an iron cart.  I've one-stepped and found that it actually never fills while in the ditch.

Anyone have any idea why that's occurring?

UPDATE:  The full length rollers were causing the problem.  Turning the rollers off allowed the cart to fill.

I don't know why.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carts filling with magma... or not.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

Maybe they were plowing through the magma so fast that it didn't have time to get into the cart? What with magmas viscosity.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:59:25 pm »

It's the only thing I can think of.  Next time I'll allow them to impulse through for a square or two, THEN hit the rollers, see if that fixes it.  This particular ditch I dug is not able to be drained, so I'll have to make a new one to experiment further with.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:23:55 am »

You might be able to freeze the lava with a pond-zone bucket brigade, but that might be more work than just making a new one.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:53:03 am »

Yeah, I thought about that afterwards, but there's a problem with that site anyway, it doesn't refill on its own, so it's causing me constant flow problems.  I'm actually going to channel out a path between two seas just so it'll refill.   :D

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:00:46 pm »

Partly related to this:
Powerless, flowless magma minecart filler with one impulse ramp and a bridge
  • 1st run: cart fills up
  • 2nd run: cart leaves empty from a ditch filled with 6-7/7 magma
  • 3rd run: cart fills from the same 6-7/7 magma, draining it to 5-6/7. Pit needs to be refilled.
Conclusion: sometimes you just have to push the cart once more.
Additional observation while one-stepping the process: the cart always fills on either the entering or the exiting ramp, depending on the contents of the ditch. (water or magma)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:06 pm »

Yeah, I'd seen that, but I'm looking to loop 6+ minecarts through the system at ~750 tic frequency for each (if my outright guess for expected pathing is accurate), so refilling needs to happen quickly.  I may actually pressurize it a bit with a powered pump, because I just don't see natural flow filling as fast as I'm going to want.

The problem ended up being having a highest speed roller on the insertion ramp.  The roller just flung it through the lava so fast it couldn't fill.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:55:07 am »

So long as the rollers can reliably get the minecart up the ramp and out of the lava, they don't need to be moving very fast at all, do they?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:08:59 am »

So long as the rollers can reliably get the minecart up the ramp and out of the lava, they don't need to be moving very fast at all, do they?

... You know, I don't think I've ever used rollers under max speed in lava.  I'll have to try that one day. :)