Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Bridges?  (Read 1515 times)

Arcanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why Bridges?
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »

Why do tantruming dwarves always destroy bridges?  That's the only "room" I've had one destroy, and I think they destroy them at least as often as ordinary furniture.  I find it kind of weird that a dwarf can destroy a 3x6 bridge of stone blocks by himself in general, but why do they do it so often?

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Bridges?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 07:04:00 pm »

I haven't had them destroy a bridge, they seem to prefer the trade depot instead. that was the only thing they ever destroyed and I had to rebuild it 4 or 5 times.

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:49:00 pm »

If not the trade depot they do tend to get the river bridge inside the cave for me.

Usually drown themselves too.. and isolate a group of dwarves. Luckily patience always gets me through despite the long list of red messages.  ;)

oof

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:55:00 pm »

I had a dwarf destroy the trade depot. I foolishly allowed him to live, and he seemed to actually be healing, but then he destroyed the depot again and it was off to the flood room for him.

After that I just got rid of dwarves during their first tantrum.

Urganite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 03:17:00 am »

Do you ever feel like a Nazi for killing off dwarves with flood rooms? I know I sure do, heh...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 03:58:00 am »

Maybe I'm just nice, but I never kill off dwarves.  I let them kill themselves with tantrums and I only ever lock them inside their chambers if they've gone berserk -- and even then, only until I'm ready to send in the gendarmerie to take him down. =)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

PhilD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 02:55:00 pm »

I'm probably missing something - how do you drown a specific dwarf? I mean, know how to make a floodable room, and I know how to lock a room (I think), but I don't know how to tell a specific dwarf to go to a specific place...

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 03:24:00 pm »

I just have them kill each other by training themselves to death.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Urganite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 04:24:00 pm »

I drown specific dwarves by building canals through the entire fortress with floodgates in every room, then flood the rooms with the tantruming dwarves in them. I call it the harkonnen solution.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »

The way most people do it is to have a dedicated "bedroom" which is actually a flood room.  Just assign the dwarf to the bed, then when the dwarf goes in, lock the door and flood the poor sucker.

I'm hoping that this is eventually plugged as an exploit.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

TrevorGood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 12:10:00 am »

I've never had to kill a dwarf. I've had a handful of fortress' with populations in the 100 range, and there have been plenty of bad injuries, and a few tantrums throughout, but never anything that didn't sort itself out properly, and never anything that demolished my fortress.

A few versions ago injuries started healing themselves fairly well in my experience, maybe I'm just lucky.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 02:01:00 am »

I'd really like it if bridges were not targeted by your tantruming dwarves, because it just creates way too many problems. I lost a whole fortress to the ensuing pathfinding errors, which were so bad I couldnt even build another bridge.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 08:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>The way most people do it is to have a dedicated "bedroom" which is actually a flood room.  Just assign the dwarf to the bed, then when the dwarf goes in, lock the door and flood the poor sucker.

I'm hoping that this is eventually plugged as an exploit.</STRONG>

The advantages of the "every bedroom can be flooded approach" are twofold; first, it continues to be effective after the economy starts, when you can no longer assign rooms, and second, it works on dwarves who are so badly injured that they cannot travel to the new room.  Of course, I can't imagine having enough mechanics to be able to do it this way.  I just lock them in their rooms.  Takes longer, but it's simpler.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 11:00:00 am »

It would be nice if larger structures had a more detailed damage or wear-and-tear system.  The real issue with dwarves destroying huge things like roads and bridges is that they seem to be able to do it instantly with a single swing of their mighty fists...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 08:24:00 pm »

Yeah.  Actually, when you think about it, the only thing that could be used to destroy a bridge is a weapon -- a hammer or pick for a stone bridge and an axe for a wooden bridge.  A metal bridge would be practically impervious.

Workshops are probably just stacked stones and tables and such, so they would be easier to destroy.

Maybe the system could be improved and abstracted such that certain buildings can never be destroyed, like floodgates and bridges.  Dwarves should also have a preference for destroying furniture-type constructions (chairs, cabinets, beds, etc.) as opposed to workshops.