Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: he was struck my pure insanity  (Read 1065 times)

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
he was struck my pure insanity
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

I had my only good soldier in bed due to a slight wound to his arm, aparently this impeeded his ability to walk. Anyways I was planning something so I was kinda not thinking about the fortress and jsut reading announcements one said we didnt have any buckets to I instantly issued an order to have some created but before any were, my marksdwarf went insane. Is there any way to save a dwarf from insanity, or is he stuck like that until he eventualy dies?

Also none of my dwarves seem to wana train their marksdwarf skill, they all have crossbows, theres lots of bolts available and the archery targets are set up right, any suggestions?

My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: he was struck my pure insanity
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

I realise you said you set your archery targets up right, but just incase, did you set them to be fired at from the right direction? If they're set to be fired at from the west and theres a wall right next to the target to the west, then dwarves wont be able to get into position to fire.

And sadly there is no way to save a mad dwarf except to speed his journey to Armok.  :(

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

yes the targets are directed correctly

and that.. that is a shame.. i will miss him he was the only one that acctualy used his weapon

My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

Wait now tht their leader went insane, they all started gettign bolts and firing at the targets... how strange

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

Do you have bone and/or wood bolts? Or just metal ones? They only train with wood and bone bolts.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Anonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

Do you have wooden or bone bolts available for practice purposes? Dwarves won't waste good ammo on targets.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

For training, you need bone or wood bolts, marksdwarves off duty, archery targets, and to not hit a bug that I hit where a marksdwarf decides to be a hammerdwarf instead (but armed with a crossbow).

If all else fails, undraft and draft.  If that fixes it, you hit the bug.  When I get my laptop in a place with a real uplink, I'm sending it in for Toady to look at.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jayfrin:
<STRONG>Wait now tht their leader went insane, they all started gettign bolts and firing at the targets... how strange</STRONG>

I'm not sure how I didn't see this.

Squad structures are kind of messy; you're probably better off with having only one-dwarf squads.