Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throwing: Does the type of object have any effect on outcome?  (Read 997 times)

Erofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Call Me
    • View Profile
Throwing: Does the type of object have any effect on outcome?
« on: September 03, 2013, 01:06:55 pm »

The wiki only mentions different weapons will do different types of damage (arrows do piercing, sword to slashing), but does the their weight and shape affect the damage or accuracy? In my last adventurer game I carried four iron spears for long range throwing and a couple of silver battle axes for close range. Would it be better to just carry copper knives?

Also, in the wiki it says that anything can be picked up and thrown regardless of strength, but does strength (or other stats) increase the potential outcome of a throw? The only thing I have tested for is accuracy increased at a closer distance.

Through experience I feel like heavy weapons do the most damage at close range but lighter piercing ones do better at long range, but that could just be confirmation bias. Has anyone done testing on this topic?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing: Does the type of object have any effect on outcome?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:46:13 pm »

I only know that very small and light objects don't do anything at all, such as single copper coins, and actually get the text of 'passing through' the target

edit: some thoughts on weapons

many weapons have several stats for different 'attacks'. A spiked ball does piercing damage first and delivers blunt after, similar things may happen with thrown items. It checks if it delivers enough piercing damage, then checks blunt, something like that? No clue how to formulate it or the actual mechanics.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:50:42 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Erofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Call Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:00:21 pm »

I guess I will have to run some test, most importantly about the effect of weight on the damage. If it's not effective, maybe it can be a suggestion?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:13:26 pm »

In my (very) limited experience throwing giant blue serrated discs have severed legs on more then 2/3rd's of the hits.

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:08:24 am »

when throwing corpses and blunt weapons and anything without a edge weight does matter the more heavy the thrown item the more likely it's gonna do stuff like break bones of limbs and for head hits breaking skulls and destroying the brain. although generally once things get over 500 weight units most creatures who can hold things slow to a crawl even with super(species) strength and agility  so it's best to get rid of such objects quickly.

for sharp stuff the material matters more just like they do when attacking normally thrown silver arrows are pretty deadly actually.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:14:51 am by AJC »

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:46:18 am »

That makes me wonder: given that throwing is much faster than shooting a (cross)bow, is there any reason to use bows instead of just throwing the arrows?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:14:31 pm »

shooting it gives the projectile a much higher velocity, drastically increasing the damage you do with it. Throwing an arrow is likely to do little damage, shooting it causes much pain even to well armored enemies.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:51:09 pm »

I was under the impression that weight was a major factor in the damage of all projectiles. All weapons, actually.

Hence, candy arrows and bolts kinda suck because they bounce off of things they technically have a sharp enough edge to pierce, while silver bolts are really powerful, and hypothetical lead bolts are magical bullets of stuff-bane.

So, AFAICT, sliver serrated discs would pretty much be the optimal throwing ammunition, but if you want greater range opt for a quality crossbow and some copper or silver bolts.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 07:44:56 am »

That makes me wonder: given that throwing is much faster than shooting a (cross)bow, is there any reason to use bows instead of just throwing the arrows?
No reason. While it may be true that shot arrows have more velocity, thrown ones still crack skulls and bones okay, and the negative impact from being frozen after shooting a bow vastly outweighs this advantage.