Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on using a bridge as a volcano cap  (Read 1117 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question on using a bridge as a volcano cap
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:23:38 pm »

Okay, I have my volcano floored over partway down and I have a hole directly centered where the water comes down when I want to lower the magma in there for whatever reason and over this hole is a bridge made of sandstone blocks.

What I tried to do is to have the bridge cap the volcano normally and open when I trigger the water hatch and the bridge to open at the same time (actually, the hatch opens first and is several z levels up, so the timing is ok) and then when I'm done, have the bridge close again. However, what happened was that either as soon as the magma bubbled a little or the water hit the magma, the bridge deconstructed. I used an iron mechanism for the bridge and the bridge itself is sandstone, so I'm pretty sure it's not the materials

I didn't expect the bridge to deconstruct on me when it was raised, so going to try to use a retracting bridge. Also, the magma was filled right up to below the floor when I did it.

The question here is that can I use a bridge to do what I'm trying to do without it deconstructing, or if not, what is a way that I can accomplish this?

Also, couldn't really decide whether to post this in dwarf mode discussion or DF questions section, so I decided heck just post here.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Question on using a bridge as a volcano cap
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:30 pm »

Unless I am horribly wrong, you actually need to have both the bridge and the mechanism made of magma-safe materials in case you want them to survive magma splashing on 'em, otherwise the bridge goes kaput.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:31:10 pm »

If a block of obsidian comes into existence where the bridge is located, whether it is raised or lowered, the bridge will deconstruct.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 01:33:00 pm »

Unless I am horribly wrong, you actually need to have both the bridge and the mechanism made of magma-safe materials in case you want them to survive magma splashing on 'em, otherwise the bridge goes kaput.

Sandstone is supposed to be magma safe, barely anyway.

If a block of obsidian comes into existence where the bridge is located, whether it is raised or lowered, the bridge will deconstruct.

Ah, I didn't really know that.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:35:55 pm »

And here I thought something called "sandstone" would have horrible consequences if tried to quell the torrents of molten rock. At least I learned more regardless.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »

It is the eternal mystery of Dwarf Fortress how magma can create materials which cannot be melted by magma.  Magma is a supercooled liquid which remains fluid well below its freezing point.  It is only by the grace of Armok that magma flows at all instead of immediately freezing into obsidian.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 05:24:23 am »

It is the eternal mystery of Dwarf Fortress how magma can create materials which cannot be melted by magma.  Magma is a supercooled liquid which remains fluid well below its freezing point.  It is only by the grace of Armok that magma flows at all instead of immediately freezing into obsidian.

Erm... I think you just explained hiw magma can create items it can't melt. Of course, you simultaneously raised the question of hiw magma stays molten in tge first place.

Could be cool to eventually have realistic lava flows i.e. magma/lava cooling down and solidifying on it's own, into rock, instead of just evaporating. Messy, though. Very messy.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:12:55 am »

Magma is the boiling and writhing blood of Armok, created when the clowns were punished for not being fun enough in the distant past. Upon contact with water, the blood of Armok looses its rage and quenches into an obsidian rock. Knowing that it was once consumed with unending rage, the obsidian staunchly refuses to ever go back to that stage again, and thus is magma-resistant.