Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving a very specific order?  (Read 1175 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Giving a very specific order?
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

One of my dwarves has entered a strange mood and needs a shell to create his masterpiece.  No problem, I figure, I'll just hunt down a turtle, pick up its shell and everyone will be on their merry way.  I know there's a good bunch of turtles in the neighborhood.

The only problem is that the best I can find is tell a dwarf to hunt a live land animal.  I can't seem to find a way to state which animal exactly he is to look for.  I don't need just any ol' critter; I need a turtle.

Is what I'm trying to do possible in any way?  Or will I just have to hope lady luck smiles on me?

Awruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giving a very specific order?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

Turtles are not hunted for, but they go under "Fishing" category. You have to fish them, then in the Kichen you have to disable cookin them (eaten raw will live a shell), and you'd better forbid different kinds of food in order to have that turtles eaten quickly (your dwarves tend to eat what they like, and it would take samoe time, before they would eat that "tasty" raw turtle eventually).
rist Stonefinger withdraws from society ...
Urist Stonefinger claims informatic''s workshop.
Urist Stonefinger became legendary Dwarf Fortress Player.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:50:00 am »

Tell a dwarf to go fishing instead.  You catch turtles by fishing for them, and then clean the turtle at a fishery so it can be eaten, and then you eat the turtle, thus disarming it.

Err, I mean, getting the shell.

It's almost impossible not to fish out a turtle.  You can literally dig a hole in the dirt, pour some water in it, and fish a turtle from it.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

From looking around in my stockpiles, I found a few raw turtles in a barrel after all.  Since it looks like my dwarves wolfed down the epic amounts of meat and cheese I bought from the traders, I suppose I can safely assume the turtles will be eaten pretty darned soon...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 12:02:00 pm »

Nope.  They will not be eaten at all, until you clean them.

A raw turtle is inedible.  It must first be cleaned at a fishery before it can be consumed.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

Update: too late!

Although the semi-genocide that ensued from my dwarf's berserked state was totally worth it.    :D