Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A whole new game...  (Read 548 times)

yarnosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A whole new game...
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

Wow, i just downloaded the new version of DF the other day and was totally blown away by the changes. I haven't gotten a chance to play it too in depth and do anything fun, but so far it feels like an entirely new game. Congrats, Toady. I might actually get around to donating!

A couple questions though... I've started fortresses in several different locations so far and I have not been able to find any magma. I search through all the z-Levels and I just don't see it. Should it be visible, like water, on the large area map as I descend? Or do i just need to keep digging and hope I hit it, kinda like the old version? I guess, like water, some locations might just not have it. But so far I haven't see it in any locations. Flat or hilly. Do I need to go for a treeless mountain map?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: A whole new game...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

Either look for a volcano (a red "^" on the global map), or get your eyes in gear and look out for red wavy tiles amid other local map tiles. If it's a solitary double wave tile, it's a magma vent.

Also, look for obsidian, basalt, and other dark stone. You can follow rivers of magma from volcanoes if you look for continuous areas with dark stone.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India