Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Routing the Caravans - Confirming my understanding  (Read 774 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Routing the Caravans - Confirming my understanding
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:56:37 pm »

So, I've heard bits and pieces about how you can route caravans, and here's my understanding so far:

If you have a paved road from edge of embark to trade depot, the caravan will spawn on and depart from the paved road edge.

If you have limited access (such as building a small access against the embark edge) then the wagons will spawn in that limited access and the mounted traders will spawn wherever the hell they want.

Is this correct?

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: Routing the Caravans - Confirming my understanding
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:25:43 pm »

Yes and no, Paved Roads will help keep a path cleared of forests, but I've never had carts only use it, unless there are too many damn trees. Walking traders will come no matter what, and will come from anywhere. roads are really helpful, but I only really use them in forests. if you make it so that road is the only way to the depot, like lining it with walls, then they will only use that road.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:58:37 am »

Caravans can spawn at any point that has access to your depot, including the caverns. They will spawn only at these points.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:09 am »

that does not speak to wagons though.  I have had wagons diverted because I didn't have a bridge over the river.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 12:07:01 pm »

Appreciate the clarifications folks.  Thank you.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 12:46:45 pm »

The paved road to map edge thing is from the old 2d version, where the humans wouldn't bring their wagons unless you made a road for them, even if there was a clear path.

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »

I moated and walled my whole map, and for a few seasons i had to do some emergency bridges and ramps when caravans would appear on the one tile wide map edge, but now they only appear in the one area that i left unmoated.  So, there is some 'learning' involved as to where they appear on your map,

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 01:43:27 pm »

If a wagon-accessible path exists to your trade depot, arriving caravans will always use it, even if they have no wagons. If there is no wagon-accessible path, then they will appear at a random location (without wagons, of course).

Note that map features (such as rivers) can prevent civilizations from arriving on certain sides of the map, so it is possible to have a single wagon-accessible path but not have caravans arrive at it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 02:45:53 am »

You can also force them to use a path via channeling. 3-tile road, and then in a perimeter around the outer map edge (but one tile inward since you can't dig on map edge), designate a channel every other tile in a square pattern. Voila: duders shouldn't be getting all up in your grill.

I don't know if you have to deramp in order for this to work. I would assume not, but, it's a possibility.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 04:52:47 am »

Will even wagons spawn in the caverns?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 01:58:12 pm »

Will even wagons spawn in the caverns?
Well I know caravans can depart through the caverns if you give them a path to do so and block the outside but I'm prety sure they wont arrive from there.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 02:40:01 pm »

I'm about to find out one way or the other in FurnaceClans. :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 06:46:37 pm »

Confirmed... neither the caravan nor the liason will arrive via the caverns.  Stez is currently using them for mulch.