Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SOLVED: My minecart tracks don't seem to be connected  (Read 1398 times)

manypopes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
SOLVED: My minecart tracks don't seem to be connected
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:40:26 am »

I'm trying to connect my mines to my magma forge with minecarts, I've set up my route in the correct directions but the yellow "!" is still showing, does this mean I haven't connected the track properly?

Also, does a track stop have to be built above a track or can it just be placed next to the end of a track?

I think I'm doing ramps wrong, the df wiki says they're tricky but doesn't really explain all that clearly. Here's a screenshot of a ramp, all my ramps on the track follow this structure.

The yellow cross is at the same x/y position in both screenshots.

Can anyone see what's going wrong here?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:31:52 pm by manypopes »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My minecart tracks don't seem to be connected
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:31:35 pm »

The tracks look correct to me. Where are the stops of the route and what are their depart directions? I _think_ a stop must be on top of track to be connectible, to wit, the stop must have an engraved/built track connection in its depart direction (if your depart direction is north, the tile must have a north connection, and so can be a track end with only the N connection, just as well as a crossing connected NSEW).

The trickiness of ramps is mainly that you must designate the track 'beyond' the tile to engrave, i.e. on an up ramp right next to a down ramp you designate _from_ a wall _to_ the opening of a down ramp, two tiles you cannot actually carve a track into. This feels a bit counter-intuitive, but it's the result of the way carve track designations work, i.e. you need to designate the "connections to...", not merely the tiles to actually carve into.

manypopes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: My minecart tracks don't seem to be connected
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:44:52 pm »

I think can understand what you mean about track designations, they have to be long in order for the game to set their direction? Makes more sense now and I am quite sure all the ramps are set up properly.

I've removed the stops, made sure they have track underneath and have replaced the stops. The yellow ! has gone from the route menu now so maybe that was it. I was sure I had done that in the first place but who knows? Will test this out now.

EDIT: Yes it's now working, have no idea what was wrong but rebuilding the ends of the tracks fixed it. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:31:01 pm by manypopes »