Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well 6 z-levels over a channel  (Read 571 times)

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well 6 z-levels over a channel
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

The wiki indicated that a well can be multiple z-levels over a source of water.  it said further that a channel was an OK source.  So I dug a huge channel from a brook and built a well over it, but now it says that the well is "dry", even though the channel still has water.

Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well 6 z-levels over a channel
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

Hmmm. I have a well that is many many Z levels above water, and it's wet. Is the water at least 5 deep? Did you accidentally leave a staircase somewhere in the shaft?

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

Doh.  The water is not yet at 5/7.  Can I assume that will improve over time?

The flooding rules confuse me.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

Seems odd to me it has to be at least 5/7.  I have dry wells, too, going deep.  Near the bottom there is water but near the top its dry and the well is unusuable other than a social gathering place.

Of If the rope can drop 6 z levels.. it can drop through 1 square to 4/7's of water, I say!

igless

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>Of If the rope can drop 6 z levels.. it can drop through 1 square to 4/7's of water, I say!</STRONG>

That's not how it works. The bucket is as high as 4 water units, so it can't be filled. Actually, it could using a few simple techniques, but not in DF.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>

That's not how it works. The bucket is as high as 4 water units, so it can't be filled. Actually, it could using a few simple techniques, but not in DF.</STRONG>

I think he is actually saying that he has a 7/7 stack of water with a 4/7 layer on top, which the well refuses to gather.

By the way, that's a mighty big bucket. You can swim at 4/7.

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 06:29:00 am »

Hi!

Well, in 38a, I dug out some very deep wells and had a well based on a deep single-tile sized pond. It always worked fine, even though the water level changed a lot when the dwarves used it. However, I always made sure that there was at least one (7/7) level.

So, I suggest you check carefully for any obstacles as was mentioned above.

If there is no (7/7) tile, I suggest make the channel one level deeper right under your well, which should theoretically create a (7/7) tile.

Deathworks