Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ArmorTails (a cautionary tale)  (Read 686 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ArmorTails (a cautionary tale)
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:15:12 pm »

This fortress was set out to test a new building and its reactions (a personal mod of mine).

And in an act of benevolence, I decided to leave the population cap at 200 and the baby cap at limitless. What resulted was the dwarf version of a catsplosion.

Lets take a walk around ArmorTails.

Spoiler: Our Mascot (click to show/hide)

This is a finely drawn image of the Dwarf Erith Inkyshields and a Barn Owl. The Barn Owl is making a plaintive gesture. The Dwarf is sleeping. This artwork relates to the training of the Barn Owl by the Dwarf Erith Inkyshields in ArmorTails in the winter of 213.

Also featured in this image is about 1/4 of the child horde running amok in this place.

Apart from the inane cuteness of a barn owl running around the fort, this has no practical use at all.

Here you can see about 12 caged badgers, there's also a few goblin prisoners, I don't know what to do with them yet, we've successfully trained about 4 badgers though. Why you ask? uh... no reason. You might say I need more bait for the forgotten beast shooting gallery

Oh yeah, and Urist there is carrying the dead human hammerman out to the refuse pile, but I'll get to that later.

Spoiler: born a prisoner (click to show/hide)

One of the badgers got preggers and had three cubs while still in the cage, she was "semi-wild" at the time, and so the badger cubs were automatically trained at birth. They apparently have no problem staying alive in there.

Spoiler: Trade Depot (click to show/hide)

In the bottom left there you can see the 2x2 building we were sent here to prototype. It works splendidly, you'll never need a wood furnace again. (OOC: it's too good right now and I need to tone down how much coal it produces)

Oh right, so here's the trade depot, most of that is dwarf blood, our thirty strong military decided it would be a great idea to attack the human merchant bodyguards, I think twenty of us died, all the melee squads have been disbanded since we don't have the manpower to run them anymore. Don't worry peasant, you're safe, we still have a full squad of marksdwarves around here.

Spoiler: Tobul LastFortresses (click to show/hide)

Damnit, don't worry, I'm sure the rest of them are sane. *sigh* Poor girl, she really was a good warrior, Tobul Lastfortresses, oddly appropriate as this'll probably be the last fortress she sees. Honestly sad, it wouldn't concern me so much if she weren't still carrying her newborn baby around while simultaniously tearing off all her cloths.

Spoiler: Obok StirredRacks (click to show/hide)

Speaking of our military, here's Obok, he's the only surviving hammerdwarf. He's been trying to clean himself for the past four months.

Spoiler: Should we tell him? (click to show/hide)

He's missing his left arm and his right hand has suffered permanent scarring, preventing him from picking anything up. This however, hasn't stopped Obok from trying, we're routing for you buddy.

I'd send him to the hospital, but the hospital seems to kill more dwarves than it saves.

Spoiler: The Hospital (click to show/hide)

A trogladyte managed to get through the cavern entrance/forgotten beast shooting gallery and walked up here into the hospital, killing three dwarves. In the image is a dead dwarf being carried out of the hospital after no one gave him any food or water.

Since there is a housing shortage, a lot of people come here to sleep, despite the danger.

About three years ago, we had attracted the attention of a vampire undead. He infiltrated our society and for all I know, is still lurking around somewhere, we never did discover who exactly it was. But his favorite hunting ground was the hospital, he'd slip away while the rest of us were busy and drain the life of orphaned children who were sleeping in the hospital beds. Actually, I didn't really care, as long as he kept killing the children and not the useful adults, but the murders seem to have stopped, the vampire is either dead or in hiding.

You can also see the well/meeting hall in this picture, and about another 1/5 of the child horde running around.

Spoiler: Speaking of the Undead (click to show/hide)

Here's Kogan, he looks like a dwarf, but he's actually a WereBear, he managed to get himself stuck in a trap and we didn't really know what to do with him until the king insisted that he be placed in his dining room, for observation.

We don't really plan on releasing him, he's just there for insurance, the kings mandates are actually pretty reasonable, I mean, who doesn't like bucklers. Well, there was that one time we didn't fulfill a mandate, that was a weird case, and Kadol is still missing, probably plotting his revenge against us right now.

It all started out pretty simple, Dastot was a hammerdwarf in training, the king insisted that it was this man who failed to produce the bucklers, we didn't really know what to do, there was no prison at the time, so one of the gaurdsdwarves were asked to give him a beating.

Apparently the Gaurdsdwarf on duty thought that "beating" meant "beat him to death", as Dastot was soon found dead in the barracks. Somehow, there were zero witnesses to the crime, and the gaurdsdwarves wouldn't give up the name of the dwarf on duty during that ordeal. Though now that I look back, he probably did Dastot a favor, killing him before the human merchant massacre.

I didn't want the others to feel unsafe, and I needed to send a message to the Gaurdsdwarves, a prison was immediately constructed, and Kadol Udisturdim was selected to spend 200 days in prison.

Spoiler: The ScapeGoat (click to show/hide)

But 100 days later, Kadol suddenly went missing, his cage is empty, and no one has seen him since, maybe the vampire got him, hell, maybe he was the vampire, no one knows. Whatever happens, I don't want to be the one who finds out, he's still got his Axe with him, that much I'm sure.

Spoiler: The Prison (click to show/hide)

Here you can see the prison, its empty right now, not for a lack of crimes, but mostly due to the fact that anyone who gets sent there dies or disappears.

Spoiler: ArmorTails (click to show/hide)

Oh, did I mention there was a child problem? Yeah, we have 75 right now, but that numbers down from about 90. An engineer even had triplets once, probably just to spite me. Almost every woman here has about 3 kids, soon as they set their baby down for its first walk, they birth another one of the damn things (OOC: I turned child cap back on, the "has given birth messages" were happening every couple of minutes and driving me insane).

End of Story.

TL;DR

You can train barn owls.

If you don't have bronze or better metal available, don't use melee weapons, copper armor is useless.

Bucket shortages are serious business.

If you don't set baby cap, dwarves will breed faster than cats.