Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to designate a "melt" stockpile?  (Read 2551 times)

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there any way to designate a "melt" stockpile?
« on: August 29, 2013, 02:15:37 pm »

Recently noticed that my object melting smelter was frequently undwarved, with the dwarf performing the task absent from his station. Spent a little bit of time watching the little fellow and determined that he was going back and forth from my main stockpile to the smelter. Given that the stockpile was in the fortress near the surface and the smelter was down near the magma, that meant a lot of time walking and little time melting. So is there any method available so that objects that have been designated for melting will get hauled by the massive labor force of peons instead of having the skilled single dwarf do the hauling?

My current work around is a single tile stockpile set to accept all metal objects of any quality. And a garbage dump activity zone put right on top of it. So now when I want to melt a lot of stuff, I make that garbage zone the only active one, (D)ump all the items I want melted. Then finally when they arrive at the pile claim 'em and finally designate 'em to be melted. Frankly, I'd rather not make a single intent of 'I want all this trash melted' into such a micro managed multi-step process.... So is there a better way?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to designate a "melt" stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:37:23 pm »

Im assuming youre refering to goblinite. Just set the stockpile to only accept really low quality shit and it'll all get hauled there. Any shit things you produce yourself may as well be melted down too unless it's for weapon traps

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:46:41 pm »

Im assuming youre refering to goblinite. Just set the stockpile to only accept really low quality shit and it'll all get hauled there. Any shit things you produce yourself may as well be melted down too unless it's for weapon traps

Good idea. But unfortunately not complete. I am melting down trash weapons, but also melting down higher quality stuff that isn't useful to me. Foreign weapons, toys and crafts, etc. But I can see making a pile to accept everything I don't want to use and a main pile that cherry picks what I do want. But that's a really long set of customization for the stockpiles.  :-\

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:57:44 pm »

well, otherwise, no, you can't set a stockpile specifically for melt items
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:14:18 pm »

Well, you could also put the armor and weapon stockpiles near the furnaces, a little less micromanagement that way.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:53:07 pm »

Your going to have to do a bit of micromanagement for the initial setup but you'll have to decide for yourself if its a time saver in the long run.   You could setup several piles that take from the main one.  AKA setup one pile for low quality weapons/armor.  Another pile ignores quality but is setup to take all those foreign metalic items you dont need but may be of good quality. periodicly you go there and mass designate melt over those piles and call it good. Unfortunatly you'll probably have to micro the armor a bit as I dont think theres a way to alow/disalow large armors specifically.  Probably best to just sort armor by quality/material and micro out the few high quality armors that are not useful to you.

Or just go with smjjames sugestion and put it all next to the smelter(or the smelter next to the stockpile) and just designate melt from the stocks screen.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:49:05 am »

QSP every metal item (furniture, ammo and coins too) next to your smelter and then go to your stocks screen to designate meltable items?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »

But that's a really long set of customization for the stockpiles.  :-\
Are you using DFHack? If so, you only need to do the customisation once. The 'copystock' command will copy stockpile settings, allowing you to freely change the area your desired meltables go to.

It's worth it even without DFHack -- either you can set the stockpile once now, or you can do the dump-and-reclaim routine every time you want a batch of items melted.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.