Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project to drain this lake, any tips on how to do so?  (Read 451 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project to drain this lake, any tips on how to do so?
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:08 am »

I'm starting on my project to drain this desert lake on my 5x5 embark, the only land roughly covers the northeastern quadrant and the lake is 1 z-level deep except for a pool that is over the volcano tube cap. So, any tips on this? It's my first megaproject (or semi-megaproject maybe), so I'm looking for tips as to where or how I can start. Probably could dig out and then open up a drainage hole or two into the first cavern layer.

I fully anticipate the lag.

Also, I don't want to completely drain the lake, just have it be reclaimed up to some blocks from the edge because I may want to eventually flood it back up.

Edit2: Any suggestions on how to power this? I checked the wind for the site and it's 0 and the site is a flat site.

Edit3: I'll have to go with the dwarven water reactor and I have some good spots for a few.

EDIT4: OH SHI... DRAGON!!!! Hopefully it gets caged.... Also, good thing dragons can't actually fly in DF.

Edit5: Heh, weapon traps chewed it up and its corpse got stuck inside one of them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:36:47 am by smjjames »

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project to drain this lake, any tips on how to do so?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:01:41 am »

Well, if the lake doesn't have a fast refill via the edge, how about simply draining it to the edge. Dig down a couple of Z levels below the lake and then tunnel to the edge, smooth and carve a fortification. And since you want to be able to refill it again later, build a drawbridge there to act as a floodgate. It's about as fast as going for the cavern, but safer since you won't have to deal with any guests down there.

Side view

~~~~~~~~~~  Water in lake
############ Ground under lake.
######X##### Up/Down stairwell.
######X_____ Access tunnel.
######X##### Safety buffer.
______X##### Drain to edge of map.

When draining large amounts of water, I've rarely seen anything above 1/7 water on the Z level above the drain level. Having it 2 Z levels below your access level will let your dwarves keep their feet nice and dry. And given the Z level difference, the draining will go fast. However, the way pressure and flow work in DF, your speed will vary dramatically depending upon how deep the water is. Water that's 2 or more Z levels high will drain RAPIDLY down to 1 Z level. That's due to the pressure mechanics. But once it drops down to 1 Z level, flow mechanics take over. And that is slow. And as long as you're doing the drain project, if you think you might want some waterwheels in the future, you may want to energize some areas where you want future water wheels. You can have 7/7 water sitting stationary in a pool with a waterwheel above it spinning merrily. Trick is that if water has flowed over a tile and then vanishes off the map, that tile is marked as 'flowing' and if in the future, you put water in that tile again, the water is also marked as flowing even if it's not moving at all.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:03:22 am by jcochran »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:33:32 am »

if you want to drain it and save water for cavern flooding later, simply carving out a pocket of appropriate size a few z levels down will let gravity power it.  If you are going to landscape the lake and replace the water, a dwarven reactor (see wiki) will be selfcontained.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 11:51:54 am »

I suppose I could build a wall and platform as close to the edge as I can get it and figure out some spacing to push back the water to where I'd like it and then build a wall to hold the water in place for a while with the reactors off.

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:45:12 pm »

Haha, love the dragon interruption.  Just beware of pathing dwarves.  I tried to drain a lake into my golbin POW pit and before i know it there were about five dwarves down there.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:18:56 pm »

I had another interruption, namely some outgoing dwarven merchants who decided to blunder into a siege. I was finishing up bringing everything inside when the elves came (pissed them off somehow with the trade, but feh, they haven't been bringing great animals lately) and I still have to sort through the stuff and discard things.